Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Current Affairs (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   The Chronicles of Rishi (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33711430)

Damien 04-05-2024 19:49

Re: The Chronicles of Rishi

It appears everyone, including me, read too much into the tea leaves of the turnout without accounting for the fact that there has been a swing against the Tories since 2021.

Mr K 04-05-2024 20:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by Damien (Post 36174487)
It appears everyone, including me, read too much into the tea leaves of the turnout without accounting for the fact that there has been a swing against the Tories since 2021.

Maybe some media outlets only see what they want to see, then post their headlines, then makes fools of themselves. 'On a knife edge', Mr K (;)) increased his majority !

Oh look , they've lost a Mayor in the 2nd biggest city too. How careless..... That was supposed to be safe too.

Rishi still in post on Monday, will be the icing on the cake for Labour. Tbf they haven't got anyone better.

Damien 04-05-2024 20:56

Labour has won the West Midlands Mayorality.

Andy Street has been all accounts a good Mayor and he has brought it really close despite the national picture being really against him.

I don't think the Tories know how much trouble they are in. I know they have to put a good face on results but last night they were almost jubilant about keeping Tees Valley, the projected vote share they didn't understand, and the baseless rumour London was close. They seem to believe their own spin.

Street must be so angry about HS2. That was easily the difference, he was against it and Sunak dropped 10 years' worth of investment in the hope of a small poll bounce they didn't get.

Hugh 05-05-2024 08:31

https://news.sky.com/story/vote-2024...#liveblog-body

Quote:

In a blistering article in the Daily Telegraph, former home secretary Suella Braverman has laid the blame for the Conservatives' poor showing in the local elections at the feet of Rishi Sunak.

But she says it would be wrong to replace him.

Ms Braverman writes: "Let me cut to the chase so no one wastes time overanalysing this: we must not change our leader.

"Changing leader now won't work: the time to do so came and went.

"The hole to dig us out is the PM's, and it's time for him to start shovelling."
Pretty sure the saying is "if you find yourself in a hole, stop digging."

She doesn’t want a Leadership contest (imho) because she knows the Conservatives, and whoever is in charge of the Conservatives at the next General Election, are going to be thrashed, and if there is a Leadership Election before then she would be a favourite to win it…

Anyway, at the London Mayoral Election, Reform UK lost their deposit, and Count Binface beat Britain First… :D

peanut 05-05-2024 09:31

Suella Braverman says Kier Starmer has the charisma of a peanut. I feel a bit in'salted' by that. But there was no need for insults, and didn't do herself any favors there.

Seriously though, to say she regrets backing Sunak and to say they're basically screwed then go on to say Sunak "needs to own this" at least was the right thing to say. A little too late though to do anything about it.

Mr K 05-05-2024 09:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hugh (Post 36174504)
Anyway, at the London Mayoral Election, Reform UK lost their deposit, and Count Binface beat Britain First… :D

Unlike Britain First, Count Binface had some sensible policies, eg:-

The hand dryer in the gents’ toilet at the Crown & Treaty, Uxbridge, to be moved to a more sensible position.

Ceefax to be brought back for all households within the M25

Renaming London Bridge to Phoebe Waller Bridge.

1andrew1 05-05-2024 11:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by Damien (Post 36174495)
Labour has won the West Midlands Mayorality.

Andy Street has been all accounts a good Mayor and he has brought it really close despite the national picture being really against him.

I don't think the Tories know how much trouble they are in. I know they have to put a good face on results but last night they were almost jubilant about keeping Tees Valley, the projected vote share they didn't understand, and the baseless rumour London was close. They seem to believe their own spin.

Street must be so angry about HS2. That was easily the difference, he was against it and Sunak dropped 10 years' worth of investment in the hope of a small poll bounce they didn't get.

I feel sorry for Andy Street - a talented individual who did his best for the West Midlands and leaves his successor a good legacy. The same praise cannot be bestowed on Tees Mayor Ben Houchen who actually retains his job.

I think you're right - the Conservatives seem to spend a lot of their time in an echo chamber. Interviewing one another at GB News does not give them exposure to the views of the majority of the population. A population exposed to cash-strapped councils, an NHS with long waiting lists and an economy under-performing its peers.

denphone 05-05-2024 12:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1andrew1 (Post 36174517)
I feel sorry for Andy Street - a talented individual who did his best for the West Midlands and leaves his successor a good legacy. The same praise cannot be bestowed on Tees Mayor Ben Houchen who actually retains his job.

I think you're right - the Conservatives seem to spend a lot of their time in an echo chamber. Interviewing one another at GB News does not give them exposure to the views of the majority of the population. A population exposed to cash-strapped councils, an NHS with long waiting lists and an economy under-performing its peers.

If only more Conservatives behaved with integrity and grace like Andy Street their party might not as loathed as many of their politicians are currently by the electorate.

Braverman entirely the opposite of him this morning on the BBC

jfman 05-05-2024 12:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris (Post 36174463)
^this. Not to mention, there were no votes in Scotland on Thursday and it is idiocy of the highest order to use anything that has happened in English councils to predict the totally different dynamic between the SNP and Labour, or the SNP and Tory, that exists here (there are very few places in Scotland, if any, where any parliamentary seat is a straight red-blue fight).

Some of the analysis (Sky I think) assumes no change at all in Scotland. I’m sure we can all agree how flawed that is. Polling (usual caveats apply) has the SNP under 30% for the first time in years which would decimate their numbers with the majority (if not vast majority) going Labour.

I’d only add to the many reasons they aren’t comparable (independent candidates, etc.) to say turnout will inevitably be much higher at the GE.

Dave42 08-05-2024 12:20

Politics latest: Tory MP defects to Labour - minutes before Rishi Sunak faces Keir Starmer at PMQs
Tory MP Natalie Elphicke has defected to Labour, hitting out at the "broken promises of Rishi Sunak's tired and chaotic government". The announcement came as Rishi Sunak faces off with Sir Keir Starmer in the first Prime Minister's Questions since the local elections.

https://news.sky.com/story/vote-2024...ction-12593360

Paul 08-05-2024 15:52

One way to try and keep your seat perhaps ? Move to the obviously winning party.

TheDaddy 08-05-2024 16:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul (Post 36174716)
One way to try and keep your seat perhaps ? Move to the obviously winning party.

Except that seat already has a labour candidate...

She might get offered a chance to stand in a different one, her immigration stance will be a useful deflection for Sir beer

Hugh 08-05-2024 16:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul (Post 36174716)

Apparently, Labour has clarified that Mike Tapp is still the Labour candidate for Dover and Natalie Elphicke is stepping down at the election.

Ms NTL 08-05-2024 16:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hugh (Post 36174720)
Apparently, Labour has clarified that Mike Tapp is still the Labour candidate for Dover and Natalie Elphicke is stepping down at the election.

Peerage ?:D:rolleyes:

Mr K 09-05-2024 20:08

Quote:

LAB: 48% (+4)
CON: 18% (-)
REF: 13% (-2)
LDEM: 9% (-1)
GRN: 7% (-1)

via @YouGov, 07 May

They just need putting down really. It's the kindest thing ;)

There really maybe very little opposition in the next parliament and that won't be good for anyone.