Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Virgin Media TV Service (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   General : Changes to Virgin TV (2021) (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33709646)

RichardCoulter 04-08-2021 19:02

Re: Changes to Virgin TV (2021)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Media Boy (Post 36088532)
Base on the Discovery Channel UK wikipedia page Discovery Inc have sign deal with the following networks (numbers on networks may very):

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Discov...ish_TV_channel)

Virgin Media Ireland.
WightFibre
BT
Plusnet
Eir Vision

Thanks. AFAIK Plusnet has stopped doing TV and BT is pushing their remaining TV customers onto Now TV.

epsilon 04-08-2021 19:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by Media Boy (Post 36088532)
Base on the Discovery Channel UK wikipedia page Discovery Inc have sign deal with the following networks (numbers on networks may very):

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Discov...ish_TV_channel)

Virgin Media Ireland.
WightFibre
BT
Plusnet
Eir Vision

WightFibre & Plusnet don't do TV. WightFibre resells Netgem TV, I don't think Discovery channels are carried on Netgem.

Media Boy UK 04-08-2021 19:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by epsilon (Post 36088536)
WightFibre & Plusnet don't do TV. WightFibre resells Netgem TV, I don't think Discovery channels are carried on Netgem.

Only Discovery Channels on Netgem TV are: Quest, Quest Red, HGTV, Food Network and DMAX.

http://www.netgem.co.uk/whats-on/

epsilon 04-08-2021 19:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichardCoulter (Post 36088528)
Sight of this document does make me think that what MB has been told may well be correct. However, it's important to stress that company plans can and do change. In addition, it's worth noting that it's believed that Discovery signed a long term deal with Sky. I couldn't see the Discovery channels remaining on Sky and being removed from VM because of the John Malone connection with Discovery and Virgin.

Mergers and joint ventures will, inevitably, reduce Malone's influence, if he is actually interested in getting involved in decisions at this level.

There are lots of rumours about Discovery no longer supplying content to third parties, even though Discovery have indicated that they prefer to supply a wide range of customers. The recent information released about Sky Q over IPTV in Germany lists Discovery as a provider of third party channels. If their plan is to restrict all of their content to Discovery+, they are certainly working hard to disguise this.

---------- Post added at 19:30 ---------- Previous post was at 19:27 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by Media Boy (Post 36088537)
Only Discovery Channels on Netgem TV are: Quest, Quest Red, HGTV, Food Network and DMAX.

http://www.netgem.co.uk/whats-on/

I think it is similar to BT and sits on top of Freeview, which would explain those channels.

Media Boy UK 04-08-2021 19:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 36088476)
For how long...;)

Here that information.

An Cable Forum poster has told me today that Virgin Media have started Beta Testing an new box this week - Base info we have it mixed up to look like an fire stick and TV360 box.

Hugh 04-08-2021 20:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by Media Boy (Post 36088525)
An other sources I have got 5 sources.

On July 29th only Sky One was on the list of channels seen by my Sources set to be close by Sky. But on July 30th Sky Replay also appeared - I did say this on July 30th.

I cant see any info Sky Replay on this link: https://www.skygroup.sky/en-gb/artic...se-and-sky-max

---------- Post added at 18:23 ---------- Previous post was at 18:19 ----------

Sky Sports News repeating what their sources say all a time (BBC Sport is one of the Sky Sports Sources).;)

Media Boy ≠ Sky Sports News - you’re getting delusions of adequacy… :)

ScottishSteve 05-08-2021 10:40

YouTube Kids is now available on the 360 box

fox35 05-08-2021 10:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by ScottishSteve (Post 36088610)
YouTube Kids is now available on the 360 box

Oh Joy! Still no All4 app or full Pluto app.

ScottishSteve 05-08-2021 11:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by fox35 (Post 36088615)

or MTV Play

OLD BOY 05-08-2021 12:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by fox35 (Post 36088615)

They are coming, asis Disney+. Not too long to wait now.

RichardCoulter 06-08-2021 14:07

I believe that Sky Cinema customers are to get Paramount+ at no extra cost.

Will this be the same for those who receive Sky Cinema via Virgon Media?

We've always received any free bonus channels in the past, but I have a feeling that we won't get this. Does anyone know for sure?

ozsat 06-08-2021 15:10

It is an app not a channel - so unlikely.

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichardCoulter (Post 36088827)

We've always received any free bonus channels in the past, but I have a feeling that we won't get this. Does anyone know for sure?

OLD BOY 06-08-2021 16:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichardCoulter (Post 36088827)

I think it’s up to VM, Richard. It’s will be a free service on Sky because it comes with advertisements. I am only interested in the subscription version.

Phunkenstein 06-08-2021 16:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 36088849)
I think it’s up to VM, Richard. It’s will be a free service on Sky because it comes with advertisements. I am only interested in the subscription version.

It hasn’t been announced whether the U.K. version will have an ad supported tier or not.

OLD BOY 06-08-2021 19:18

https://www.whathifi.com/news/paramo...-coming-to-sky

[EXTRACT]

Sky subscribers across Europe will soon be able to watch Paramount+. As of next year, viewers in the UK, Ireland, Italy, Germany, Switzerland and Austria will get access to ViacomCBS's TV and movie streaming service.

However, it will only come free to Sky Cinema subscribers. Everyone else will have to pay to watch. There's no UK price yet, but in the US Paramount+ costs $60 a year for the entry-level tier (though this deal offers all tiers at half price). It can also be had with Amazon Music for three months for just $3.

muppetman11 06-08-2021 19:26

Paramount + ad free is $9.99 in the USA what chance have they got if its similar in pounds at retaining people I'd say slim to none.

Phunkenstein 06-08-2021 21:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 36088868)
https://www.whathifi.com/news/paramo...-coming-to-sky

[EXTRACT]

Sky subscribers across Europe will soon be able to watch Paramount+. As of next year, viewers in the UK, Ireland, Italy, Germany, Switzerland and Austria will get access to ViacomCBS's TV and movie streaming service.

However, it will only come free to Sky Cinema subscribers. Everyone else will have to pay to watch. There's no UK price yet, but in the US Paramount+ costs $60 a year for the entry-level tier (though this deal offers all tiers at half price). It can also be had with Amazon Music for three months for just $3.

In the US, it has two tiers - one without ads and a cheaper plan that’s supported by ads… there is no free AVOD version even in the US - it’s not been announced if the U.K. will have two tiers or not…

Media Boy UK 07-08-2021 14:10

UPDATE: Eurosport UHD to carry on after August 9th?

TiVo EPG listings say that Eurosport UHD are still broadcasting until August 19th at time of posting. After August 9th the listings are the same as Eurosport 1 HD.

ScottishSteve 07-08-2021 14:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by Media Boy (Post 36088898)

TiVo EPG listings say that Eurosport UHD are still broadcasting until August 19th at time of posting. After August 9th the listings are the same as Eurosport 1 HD.

It could be a continuation of EPG data as it has had the same programmes as Eurosport 1 throughout, but you never know.

Though I can’t see them launching a new service if your ‘sources’ are correct in them closing all their channels next year.

1701-e 07-08-2021 16:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by ScottishSteve (Post 36088899)
It could be a continuation of EPG data as it has had the same programmes as Eurosport 1 throughout, but you never know.

Actually there are variations in programming between 521 and 523 next weekend. You never know!

cheekyangus 07-08-2021 16:45

Not impossible that the truth is actually halfway in-between. Discovery closing all SD and HD channels but with a UHD Discovery Channel and UHD Eurosport channel remaining as showcases of Factual and Sport. UHD being more efficiently supplied as a single broadcast rather than lots of UHD streams (and without the lag, so better for Live programming).

Media Boy UK 07-08-2021 17:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by cheekyangus (Post 36088901)
Not impossible that the truth is actually halfway in-between. Discovery closing all SD and HD channels but with a UHD Discovery Channel and UHD Eurosport channel remaining as showcases of Factual and Sport. UHD being more efficiently supplied as a single broadcast rather than lots of UHD streams (and without the lag, so better for Live programming).

Media Boy Sources confirmed to me last Wednesday that Discovery is to axe linear channels by 2023 when Discovery deals are up with Virgin and Sky.

But reports on channellists.com some time ago says that an Eurosport Events Pay Per Views linear channel for Discovery live sports rights.

RichardCoulter 07-08-2021 19:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1701-e (Post 36088363)
Coming soon...... :D

A previously reliable source has said that Disney will close the rest of their channels by the end of this year and that Discovery, whilst publicly supporting the continuation of linear channels, have "told a bare faced lie" (his words) and that they intend to close their linear channels in 2022*. No distinction was made between FTA and pay channels, but I honestly can't see them closing any of their FTA channels (as long as they are still profitable that is). Maybe the downturn in advertising has impacted on them, but they are keeping them for contractual reasons??

* He did say that, in his view (he works in the industry) that Discovery may be saying this to platform operators to aid in carriage deal negotiations. This looks to me like Discovery will pull their channels off if they don't get an acceptable offer, but will keep them on if they do.

OLD BOY 07-08-2021 20:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichardCoulter (Post 36088915)
A previously reliable source has said that Disney will close the rest of their channels by the end of this year and that Discovery, whilst publicly supporting the continuation of linear channels, have "told a bare faced lie" (his words) and that they intend to close their linear channels by 202. No distinction was made between FTA and pay channels, but I honestly can't see them closing any of their FTA channels (as long as they are still profitable that is). Maybe the downturn in advertising has impacted on them, but they are keeping them for contractual reasons??

I must admit that I found it strange that Discovery appeared to indicate that it wouldn’t abandon its TV channels. This flies in the face of the general trend, so I’m not at all surprised that they have now said their content will only be on the streamer in future.

If there is a Discovery channel left on Freeview, it will probably just be a showcase channel promoting content on Discovery+. I think they want to draw everyone into the streamer - they don’t want to dilute their audience by keeping the TV channels going.

RichardCoulter 07-08-2021 20:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 36088917)
I must admit that I found it strange that Discovery appeared to indicate that it wouldn’t abandon its TV channels. This flies in the face of the general trend, so I’m not at all surprised that they have now said their content will only be on the streamer in future.

If there is a Discovery channel left on Freeview, it will probably just be a showcase channel promoting content on Discovery+. I think they want to draw everyone into the streamer - they don’t want to dilute their audience by keeping the TV channels going.

This is exactly what their proposals said in the document I saw a few years ago.

I forgot to add that he also said that the process will start properly* at the beginning of next year. From January, they will be showing all new content on Discovery+ first and that every linear channel will be showing reruns only.

He also mentioned a 'First on Discovery+' thing. I think that this will be a new marketing tagine from January, but that's just my supposition.

*Some new series of programmes that used to be on the linear channels have actually already been put onto Discovery+.

The ViacomCBS channels are safe for at least the next 4.5 years.

If your daughter uses streaming services on her Sky Q box, Sky Peacock and HayU will be built into SkyQ, similar to how they are presented on Now TV, but Paramount+ won't be.

Whether Paramount+ would be available for free to Sky Cinema customers on Now TV was my main concern. It will be made available on the devices that have now been discontinued, but it won't be free.

I wonder why all these new streamers are using a + at the end of their name?

Tricky Trevor 08-08-2021 13:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by Media Boy (Post 36088898)

I've been hoping for this because a few months ago, I watched Ski Jumping and also Snooker on Eurosport UHD and the picture quality was amazing.

It's especially welcome as it looks like Virgin wont be launching the much promised Sky Sports UHD which was promised way back in May 2019.

OLD BOY 08-08-2021 13:59

As far as I know, Sky is contractually committed to provide Virgin with Sky Sports UHD. It’s been slow coming, for Sky users too, but I think it is still on its way.

Have you heard any different?

muppetman11 08-08-2021 14:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 36088962)
As far as I know, Sky is contractually committed to provide Virgin with Sky Sports UHD. It’s been slow coming, for Sky users too, but I think it is still on its way.

Have you heard any different?

Sky users have been watching UHD sport for ages , this season brings HDR.

OLD BOY 08-08-2021 14:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetman11 (Post 36088963)
Sky users have been watching UHD sport for ages , this season brings HDR.

I know, and that, I think, is what we have been waiting for.

ScottishSteve 08-08-2021 15:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 36088965)
I know, and that, I think, is what we have been waiting for.

Eurosport 4K has the same info as the other temporary channels from Fri 20th Aug
It says ‘Coming soon’ which would tell me based on the other channels it will be going again.

This Friday is one to watch on the Sky Sports UHD front as on SkyQ they are broadcasting in HDR for the first time.

We might just get UHD then………… maybe

Dave42 08-08-2021 15:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by ScottishSteve (Post 36088978)
Eurosport 4K has the same info as the other temporary channels from Fri 20th Aug
It says ‘Coming soon’ which would tell me based on the other channels it will be going again.

This Friday is one to watch on the Sky Sports UHD front as on SkyQ they are broadcasting in HDR for the first time.

not holding my breath but the premier league starts Friday

Media Boy UK 08-08-2021 15:36

Quote:

But The Eurosport HD channels listing only runs up to that date.

---------- Post added at 15:36 ---------- Previous post was at 15:32 ----------

Quote:

I have just seen an pig flying over my house. If and it an big if Sky Sports UHD is set to launch on Virgin Media for this coming season it will start testing on DBR by Tuesday afternoon.

ScottishSteve 08-08-2021 15:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by Media Boy (Post 36088981)
But The Eurosport HD channels listing only runs up to that date.

---------- Post added at 15:36 ---------- Previous post was at 15:32 ----------

I have just seen an pig flying over my house. If and it an big if Sky Sports UHD is set to launch on Virgin Media for this coming season it will start testing on DBR by Tuesday afternoon.

It might use the Eurosport 4K feed?

Media Boy UK 08-08-2021 16:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by ScottishSteve (Post 36088987)
It might use the Eurosport 4K feed?

Don't think so as Eurosport 4K is broadcasting on an temporary stream that Virgin launch for BBC Red Button Channels. When Sky Sports UHD Channel do launch on Virgin Media it will be on one of the main streams that Virgin use all year round. But saying that Sky Sports UHD may launch on that stream if Eurosport 4K do stay on Channel number 523 after tomorrow night.

I think Virgin will use CO 68 (Where 3 streams of Virgin Media UHD broadcasts) or CO 73 (Where BT Sport UHD broadcasts)

CO 68: https://www.digitalbitrate.com/dtv.p...ve=209&lang=en

CO 73: https://www.digitalbitrate.com/dtv.p...ve=209&lang=en

epsilon 08-08-2021 21:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by Media Boy (Post 36088988)
Don't think so as Eurosport 4K is broadcasting on an temporary stream that Virgin launch for BBC Red Button Channels. When Sky Sports UHD Channel do launch on Virgin Media it will be on one of the main streams that Virgin use all year round. But saying that Sky Sports UHD may launch on that stream if Eurosport 4K do stay on Channel number 523 after tomorrow night.

I think Virgin will use CO 68 (Where 3 streams of Virgin Media UHD broadcasts) or CO 73 (Where BT Sport UHD broadcasts)

CO 68: https://www.digitalbitrate.com/dtv.p...ve=209&lang=en

Virgin are only running a single 4K service on each frequency / stream and filling any left over space with radio services and video slates. C 068 only has one 4K service. There are three configurations of the same thing, which allows it to appear on different channel numbers etc.

Same as above, there is only one 4K service with radio & static video taking up any other space. Look at the graph and the amount of space the 4K service is using. Look at the black section at the top, that is the free space available for additional services. Ther isn't enough room for another 4K service there.

Using digitalbitrate as an example, C 071 could be reused, if it is no longer needed for Eurosport 4K. C 064 and C 075 are also candidates after the temporary Eurosport HD channels are removed. Or, Virgin could do something entirely different. The C channel numbers are only relevant to the local network being monitored by digitalbitrate and will be different on other networks.

Media Boy UK 09-08-2021 00:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by epsilon (Post 36089016)
Virgin are only running a single 4K service on each frequency / stream and filling any left over space with radio services and video slates. C 068 only has one 4K service. There are three configurations of the same thing, which allows it to appear on different channel numbers etc.

Same as above, there is only one 4K service with radio & static video taking up any other space. Look at the graph and the amount of space the 4K service is using. Look at the black section at the top, that is the free space available for additional services. Ther isn't enough room for another 4K service there.

Using digitalbitrate as an example, C 071 could be reused, if it is no longer needed for Eurosport 4K. C 064 and C 075 are also candidates after the temporary Eurosport HD channels are removed. Or, Virgin could do something entirely different. The C channel numbers are only relevant to the local network being monitored by digitalbitrate and will be different on other networks.

At time of posting base on DBR Info here is the Mb/s for UHD Channels on Virgin Media.

Virgin TV UHD - 21.1 Mb/s on CO 68
Eurosport UHD - 19.9 Mb/s on CO 71
BT Sport UHD - 27.1 Mb/s on CO 73

So Virgin can easy have THREE UHD Channels on an stream if Virgin Media take the time to tidy up some of their SD and HD streams.

---------- Post added at 00:14 ---------- Previous post was at 00:02 ----------

All temporary Eurosport channels - both HD and 4K - has now been removed from the EPG.

epsilon 09-08-2021 00:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by Media Boy (Post 36089031)
At time of posting base on DBR Info here is the Mb/s for UHD Channels on Virgin Media.

Virgin TV UHD - 21.1 Mb/s on CO 68
Eurosport UHD - 19.9 Mb/s on CO 71
BT Sport UHD - 27.1 Mb/s on CO 73

So Virgin can easy have THREE UHD Channels on an stream if Virgin Media take the time to tidy up some of their SD and HD streams.

"Virgin TV UHD" is actually around 26 Mb/s. The variations on digitalbitrate are, most likely, from noise or a poor connection. This sort of thing can also be seen on other channels on that website. The graphs show a maximum bitrate of 51.1 Mb/s, to get three 4K streams into that space would mean they could be no more than 16 Mb/s for video but room has to be left for other things such as audio, subtitles and stream data. From your own example, none of the 4K video streams are operating at 16 Mb/s, so you can assume they need a higher bitrate.

Virgin trialled two 4K streams on the same frequency when 4K was first introduced. That's the maximum, not three. As they removed the second stream and filled remaining space with audio and still video slates, it can be assumed that this is the method favoured by Virgin. It gives enough space to increase the video bitrate, if required and also to add additional content.

---------- Post added at 00:50 ---------- Previous post was at 00:46 ----------

I suppose that it's now easy to see why Virgin didn't bother to remove the "Coming soon" events from the EPG. They didn't leave the channels active long enough for most viewers to actually notice.

Media Boy UK 09-08-2021 00:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by epsilon (Post 36089037)
I suppose that it's now easy to see why Virgin didn't bother to remove the "Coming soon" events from the EPG. They didn't leave the channels active long enough for most viewers to actually notice.

I see that both FOX and FOX HD has been removed from the DBR page.

epsilon 09-08-2021 01:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by Media Boy (Post 36089040)
I see that both FOX and FOX HD has been removed from the DBR page.

But it was only showing the date that the services were removed. Those notifications will only be displayed for a limited period, it doesn't indicate a further change at Virgin.

Media Boy UK 09-08-2021 20:39

Bad news for Football and UHD fans.

I have tonight been told by someone "in the know" to NOT to expect Sky Sports UHD in time for Friday launch of the new Premier League Football Season.

I was also told that "everything is ready" for Sky Sports UHD to launch BUT a delay is down to Virgin Media UK.

ScottishSteve 09-08-2021 21:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by Media Boy (Post 36089175)
Bad news for Football and UHD fans.

I have tonight by someone "in the know" don't expect Sky Sports UHD in time for Friday launch of the new Premier League Season.

I was also told that "everything is ready" for Sky Sports UHD to launch BUT a delay is down to Virgin Media UK.

I don’t think anyone is holding their breath at this stage.

vincerooney 10-08-2021 01:04

Anymore news on the new streaming service launching MB? I've gone through the last few pages hoping to see some news!

Media Boy UK 10-08-2021 01:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by vincerooney (Post 36089223)
Anymore news on the new streaming service launching MB? I've gone through the last few pages hoping to see some news!

Been given no new update since last week on this new streaming service.

Last week I was told that "Virgin Media UK are in "ongoing talks on an million pound deal for Virgin Media O2" with an yet to be named Streaming service."

Until the deal is signed all I can say it start with an "D" and end with an "+".

Derekb108 10-08-2021 01:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by Media Boy (Post 36089225)
Been given no new update since last week on this new streaming service.

Last week I was told that "Virgin Media UK are in "ongoing talks on an million pound deal for Virgin Media O2" with an yet to be named Streaming service."

Until the deal is signed all I can say it start with an "D" and end with an "+".

Awesome+ :)

Tricky Trevor 10-08-2021 08:06

I wonder if it will be the first 6 months free as they did with Netflix back in the day.

RichardCoulter 10-08-2021 08:34

Paramount+ is coming to Sky and that will be free for Sky Cinema customers, unfortunately this doesn't apply to Now TV & Virgin customers :(

Some Now TV customers will be able to pay to subscribe to it, but AFAIK even this option won't be available on VM.

They are already getting Netflix for about £4 and free Discovery+. T'isnt fair!!

Rob King 10-08-2021 10:09

I'm worried when Discovery close there channels next year hoping to get a cheaper deal and/ or get Discovery plus included in my package etc

Media Boy UK 10-08-2021 12:27

DS Forum is reporting that BBC Red Button HD has close on Sky.

But is still on Virgin Channel 990. (An Virgin Exclusive?)

Hugh 10-08-2021 13:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob King (Post 36089239)
I'm worried when Discovery close there channels next year hoping to get a cheaper deal and/ or get Discovery plus included in my package etc

It’s only a rumour that they’re closing their channels, it’s not been confirmed.

As I posted last week

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hugh (Post 36088518)
Strange - a month ago, Discovery said they were "totally committed" to linear channels

Quote:

In the wake of Disney announcing that it will close linear channels in some countries, another of the major Pay TV channel groups, Discovery, has made it clear that it is totally committed to its linear channels.

Lydia Fairfax, SVP, head of commercial partnerships for EMEA at Discovery, said the channels are both a first window for content and also a shop window for her company’s direct-to-consumer streaming service, Discovery+.

“The last quarter was one of the strongest Q1s on record for our linear channels and they served a dual purpose because they were also driving people into Discovery+,” she revealed.

“We have been using a Red Button facility on the channels to link viewers through to discovery+ and that has driven huge acquisition numbers. So, we will have a dual strategy [linear channels plus Discovery+] moving forwards.”

"Speaking at Connected TV World Summit last month, Fairfax added that Discovery is committed to the Pay TV bundle, “and our channels have a key place in those bundles.”

“For us, it is important to continue to invest in channels and we will keep growing them and funding new content for them.”
https://mediatel.co.uk/news/2021/07/...treaming-wars/

Legendkiller2k 10-08-2021 13:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichardCoulter (Post 36089231)
Paramount+ is coming to Sky and that will be free for Sky Cinema customers, unfortunately this doesn't apply to Now TV & Virgin customers :(

Some Now TV customers will be able to pay to subscribe to it, but AFAIK even this option won't be available on VM.

They are already getting Netflix for about £4 and free Discovery+. T'isnt fair!!

It's called business if VM wanted similar then they should cough up.
Wait until you see SKY customers "may" be getting Apple+ free for 12 months too.

RichardCoulter 10-08-2021 15:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by Legendkiller2k (Post 36089266)
It's called business if VM wanted similar then they should cough up.
Wait until you see SKY customers "may" be getting Apple+ free for 12 months too.

Absolutely right. Sky are embracing the streamers and becoming an aggregater (which Virgin said they would be doing) whilst VM get left behind. They appear to have put their fingers in their ears going "La La La", hoping they will go away and it was all a bad dream.

cheekyangus 10-08-2021 17:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichardCoulter (Post 36089276)
Absolutely right. Sky are embracing the streamers and becoming an aggregater (which Virgin said they would be doing) whilst VM get left behind. They appear to have put their fingers in their ears going "La La La", hoping they will go away and it was all a bad dream.

Sky, being much bigger, have much more leverage. Makes it easier to deals without really trying when you are the market leader by some margin, the deals come to you, and on more favourable terms, just due to size. E.g. Tesco gets better deals with a much larger number of suppliers than your local corner shop.

VM could be trying their utmost, you don't know because the meetings are private. Getting no results doesn't mean a lack of trying. The suppliers might just not be prepared to give them offers that make business sense to VM, just because they're much smaller. They might be like "we've done a deal with the largest, we don't need the others, and certainly not on as good (for VM) terms".

RichardCoulter 10-08-2021 17:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by cheekyangus (Post 36089289)
Sky, being much bigger, have much more leverage. Makes it easier to deals without really trying when you are the market leader by some margin, the deals come to you, and on more favourable terms, just due to size. E.g. Tesco gets better deals with a much larger number of suppliers than your local corner shop.

VM could be trying their utmost, you don't know because the meetings are private. Getting no results doesn't mean a lack of trying. The suppliers might just not be prepared to give them offers that make business sense to VM, just because they're much smaller. They might be like "we've done a deal with the largest, we don't need the others, and certainly not on as good (for VM) terms".

True, it could be down to this.

If/when they go IPTV only, I bet they just provide the FTA channels and then let their customers arrange things directly with the streamers using VM BB.

ozsat 10-08-2021 18:06

Except it is inactive on VM.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Media Boy (Post 36089258)
DS Forum is reporting that BBC Red Button HD has
close on Sky.

But is still on Virgin Channel 990. (An Virgin Exclusive?)

Media Boy UK 10-08-2021 18:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by ozsat (Post 36089301)
Except it is inactive on VM.

It close on Virgin Media about 4ish today.

Media Boy UK 11-08-2021 01:41

I see that both Premier Sports 1 HD and Premier Sports 2 HD logos has been updated on the TiVo EPG in the last 24 hours.

Tricky Trevor 11-08-2021 07:52

Been like that for some time on Virgin 360. Glad you have it it on Tivo now.

Media Boy UK 12-08-2021 00:43

Virgin Media are rumoured to be looking to step into the sports market in UK.

BT Sport set to become Virgin Media Sports???:hyper:

If I know Virgin Media it will be something like them being an sponsor of an sport event - like "The Virgin Media Scottish Cup".

cheekyangus 12-08-2021 08:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by Media Boy (Post 36089476)

If I know Virgin Media it will be something like them being an sponsor of an sport event - like "The Virgin Media Scottish Cup".

The rivalry with the Premier Sports Cup would be intense. :D

Though St Johnstone won them both last year. :nworthy: :hyper: :cleader:

Raider999 12-08-2021 18:45

Quote:

Really, there is very little chance of that.

Richc1977 12-08-2021 19:31

Quote:

Maybe something to do with F1 as it's owned by Liberty Media, Sky's rights expire in 2024 and the last contract was awarded 3 years prior.

Probably not though.

Media Boy UK 14-08-2021 16:57

Wednesday is an day to look out for - it will give out the EPG for September 1st.

Need to keep an eye on Sky One (Sky Showcase) on Channel 110 and Sky Replay (Sky Max?) on Channel 160.

Wednesday from 8am.

ScottishSteve 14-08-2021 18:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by Media Boy (Post 36089790)
Wednesday is an day to look out for - it will give out the EPG for September 1st.

Need to keep an eye on Sky One (Sky Showcase) on Channel 110 and Sky Replay (Sky Max?) on Channel 160.

Wednesday from 8am.

You may even find 360 customers will eventually find channels on lower numbers as the HD/SD swap is in place with no doubles.

TimeLord2018 15-08-2021 14:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by Media Boy (Post 36089790)

Need to keep an eye on Sky One (Sky Showcase) on Channel 110 and Sky Replay (Sky Max?) on Channel 160

Wednesday from 8am.

Can't see Sky Max being on 160 it will be next to Sky Comedy on Sky.

cheekyangus 15-08-2021 15:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by TimeLord2018 (Post 36089831)

I can't see it being on 160 on VM either.

Regards the Sky EPG, this is a copy'n' paste of something I wrote elsewhere when I read what was happening re: channel numbers on the Sky EPG.

"Basically Sky1 is replaced by Sky Showcase, Sky Max goes where Sky Comedy currently is, Sky Comedy moves down one, and every Sky-branded channel gets shunted down to the place of the next Sky-branded channel. EXCEPT Sky Arts which will be getting turfed out and put in the recently vacated (by Sky Nature) Ch 130 (from 122). Sky History and Sky Nature stay in their current positions."

I haven't read anything to suggest this has changed regards the Sky EPG.

As for thr VM EPG placings of Sky Entertainment channels, there's going to have to be a similar rearrangement. It would be easier to clear up the EPG (outside TV360) if they went HD-only on VM, but I can't see that happening

Media Boy UK 15-08-2021 15:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by TimeLord2018 (Post 36089831)

Quote:

Originally Posted by cheekyangus (Post 36089838)
I can't see it being on 160 on VM either.

Regards the Sky EPG, this is a copy'n' paste of something I wrote elsewhere when I read what was happening re: channel numbers on the Sky EPG.

"Basically Sky1 is replaced by Sky Showcase, Sky Max goes where Sky Comedy currently is, Sky Comedy moves down one, and every Sky-branded channel gets shunted down to the place of the next Sky-branded channel. EXCEPT Sky Arts which will be getting turfed out and put in the recently vacated (by Sky Nature) Ch 130 (from 122). Sky History and Sky Nature stay in their current positions."

I haven't read anything to suggest this has changed regards the Sky EPG.

As for thr VM EPG placings of Sky Entertainment channels, there's going to have to be a similar rearrangement. It would be easier to clear up the EPG (outside TV360) if they went HD-only on VM, but I can't see that happening

A)If Virgin only wants Sky's Entertainment to move:

109. Sky Showcase HD
110. Sky Showcase
111. Sky Witness HD
112. Sky Witness
121. Sky Max HD
122. Sky Max
123. Sky Arts
135. Sky Comedy HD
136. Sky Comedy
137. Sky Crime HD
138. Sky Crime
139. SYFY HD
140. SYFY
156. Sky Arts HD
157. E! HD (?)
158. E! (?)
160. Challenge
164. Pick
165. Sky Showcase +1 (?)
180. Sky Witness +1
206. Sky Crime +1
207. SYFY +1

270. Sky History HD
271. Sky History +1
272. Sky History 2 HD
277. Sky Documentaries HD
278. Sky Documentaries
279. Sky Nature HD
280. Sky Nature
419. Movies 24
420. Movies 24 +

B) Base on Sky numbers got now:
109. Sky Showcase HD
110. Sky Showcase
111. Sky Witness HD
112. Sky Witness
121. Sky Max HD
122. Sky Max
123. Sky Comedy HD
135. Sky Comedy
136. Sky Arts HD
137. Sky Arts
138. Sky Crime HD
139. Sky Crime
140. SYFY HD
164. SYFY
165. E! HD
180. E!
207. Challenge
229. Pick
230. Sky Witness +1
231. Sky Crime +1
232. SYFY +1

270. Sky History HD
271. Sky History +1
272. Sky History 2 HD
278. Sky Documentaries
279. Sky Nature HD
280. Sky Nature

C) If Virgin think out the box:

109. Sky Showcase HD
110. Sky Showcase
111. Sky Witness HD
112. Sky Witness
121. Sky Max HD
122. Sky Max
123. Sky Comedy HD
135. Sky Comedy
136. Sky Documentaries HD
137. Sky Documentaries
138. Sky Crime HD
139. Sky Crime
140. Sky Arts HD
156. Sky Arts
157. Sky Nature HD
158. Sky Nature
160. Sky History HD
164. E! HD
165. E!
180. SYFY HD
206. SYFY
207. Sky History 2 HD
229. Challenge
230. Pick
231. Sky Witness +1
232. Sky Crime +1
233. Sky History +1
234. SYFY +1

419. Movies 24
420. Movies 24 +

All channels in red may change - still no been confirmed by Virgin Media or Sky.

TV360 Boxes only:
A)If Virgin only wants Sky's Entertainment to move:

109. Sky Showcase HD
111. Sky Witness HD
121. Sky Max HD
123. Sky Arts HD
135. Sky Comedy HD
137. Sky Crime HD
139. SYFY HD
157. E! HD (?)
160. Challenge
164. Pick
165. Sky Showcase +1 (?)
180. Sky Witness +1
206. Sky Crime +1
207. SYFY +1

270. Sky History HD
271. Sky History +1
272. Sky History 2 HD
279. Sky Nature HD
419. Movies 24
420. Movies 24 +

B) Base on Sky numbers got now:
109. Sky Showcase HD
111. Sky Witness HD
121. Sky Max HD
123. Sky Comedy HD
136. Sky Arts HD
138. Sky Crime HD
140. SYFY HD
165. E! HD
207. Challenge
229. Pick
230. Sky Witness +1
231. Sky Crime +1
232. SYFY +1

270. Sky History HD
271. Sky History +1
272. Sky History 2 HD
279. Sky Nature HD

C) If Virgin think out the box:

109. Sky Showcase HD
111. Sky Witness HD
121. Sky Max HD
123. Sky Comedy HD
136. Sky Documentaries HD
138. Sky Crime HD
140. Sky Arts HD
157. Sky Nature HD
160. Sky History HD
164. E! HD
180. SYFY HD
207. Sky History 2 HD
229. Challenge
230. Pick
231. Sky Witness +1
232. Sky Crime +1
233. Sky History +1
234. SYFY +1

419. Movies 24
420. Movies 24 +

All channels in red may change - still no been confirmed by Virgin Media or Sky.

cheekyangus 15-08-2021 16:19

Can't see Sky Nature and Sky Documentaries getting bumped into General Entertainment, it would P off the other broadcasters, especially those with channels in Factual category languishing at Ch245 and higher.

TimeLord2018 15-08-2021 16:19

E! and Syfy seem like dead channels walking so I'd do C although i don't other broadcasters being happy with it , also i'd put Sky Nature ahead of Sky Arts.

cheekyangus 15-08-2021 16:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by TimeLord2018 (Post 36089843)
E! and Syfy seem like dead channels walking so I'd do C although i don't other broadcasters being happy with it , also i'd put Sky Nature ahead of Sky Arts.

With Sky using Arts to express its desire to be viewed as a Public Service Broadcaster, they won't want to demote it too much, though they are moving it to a worse position on its own platform, which isn't a good look.

Media Boy UK 15-08-2021 18:55

Sky Max HD is unlikely to launch on September 1st unless Virgin Media want to alter the current deal.

Also FITE.tv are trying to get a app on the TV360 box by end of year.

ScottishSteve 15-08-2021 19:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by Media Boy (Post 36089867)
Sky Max HD is unlikely to launch on September 1st unless Virgin Media want to alter the current deal.

Also FITE.tv are trying to get a app on the TV360 box by end of year.

Sky have already stated in the press releases that they will launch on VM

Media Boy UK 15-08-2021 19:23

All info I have seen only state that Sky Max and Sky Showcase will launch still to see info about Sky Max HD - that an new channel.

Sky Max SD is just an new name for Sky Replay.

TimeLord2018 15-08-2021 19:42

Sky Replay still has normal listings from 1st of September...on digiguide e.g Stargate Atlantis at 6pm and 7pm , Sky One listings from that date are definitely for Sky Max.

Media Boy UK 15-08-2021 19:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by TimeLord2018 (Post 36089880)
Sky Replay still has normal listings from 1st of September... e.g Stargate Atlantis at 6pm and 7pm , Sky One listings from that date are definitely for Sky Max.

I did hear that Sky Replay was set to "close" on September 1st what is on Sky Replay on September 2nd at 9pm?

If it A League of Their Own that will be Sky Max from September 1st.

TimeLord2018 15-08-2021 19:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by Media Boy (Post 36089883)
what is on Sky Replay on September 2nd at 9pm?

If it A League of Their Own that will be Sky Max from September 1st.

Resident Alien - Series 1 episode 2 (episode 1 is on the day before)

Media Boy UK 15-08-2021 20:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by TimeLord2018 (Post 36089885)

Is Movies24 and Movies + still broadcasting after September 1st?

TimeLord2018 15-08-2021 20:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by Media Boy (Post 36089886)
Is Movies24 and Movies + still broadcasting after September 1st?

Yes

Media Boy UK 15-08-2021 20:06

Anyway all will be reveal on Wednesday from 8am on TiVo, V6 and TV360 boxes.

---------- Post added at 20:06 ---------- Previous post was at 20:03 ----------

Sky can easy buy FOX Sky's EPG slots on Sky to launch Sky Max and Sky Max HD and also keep Sky Replay on air after August 31st.

Media Boy UK 16-08-2021 16:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by TimeLord2018 (Post 36089885)

Wikipedia still says:

Quote:

On 1 September 2021, Sky Replay will close along with Sky One and will be replaced by Sky Max And Sky Showcase.
Can you tell me if you can see listing for September 2nd for both Sky Max and Sky Replay?

Will you also PM me with the listing for them?

---------- Post added at 16:19 ---------- Previous post was at 16:11 ----------

Here is my own views on the what changes may happen on Virgin Media from September 1st.

https://mediaboyblog.blogspot.com/20...t-to-move.html

TimeLord2018 16-08-2021 18:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by Media Boy (Post 36089958)
Wikipedia still says:

Can you tell me if you can see listing for September 2nd for both Sky Max and Sky Replay?

Will you also PM me with the listing for them?

---------- Post added at 16:19 ---------- Previous post was at 16:11 ----------

Here is my own views on the what changes may happen on Virgin Media from September 1st.

https://mediaboyblog.blogspot.com/20...t-to-move.html

Yes - the Sky Max schedule is on Sky One on digiguide

Media Boy UK 16-08-2021 19:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by TimeLord2018 (Post 36089971)
Yes - the Sky Max schedule is on Sky One on digiguide

Thanks.

So base on that info Sky Max is set to launch on Virgin Channel 110 until Sky tell them otherwise.

If Sky Replay is set to stay look out for tests to start for Sky Showcase and Sky Showcase HD on DBR.

@TimeLord. MediaMole has posted the following about Sky Showcase:

Quote:

Sky Showcase will begin at 11am on September 1 with The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air, while episodes of The Simpsons will play out at 5pm and between 6.30pm and 8pm on weekdays.
https://www.mediamole.co.uk/entertai...se_459089.html

Can you see Sky Showcase listing as posted by Media Mole under any other name?

OLD BOY 16-08-2021 20:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by Media Boy (Post 36089979)
Thanks.

So base on that info Sky Max is set to launch on Virgin Channel 110 until Sky tell them otherwise.

If Sky Replay is set to stay look out for tests to start for Sky Showcase and Sky Showcase HD on DBR.

Sky Replay is closing, Media Boy.

TimeLord2018 16-08-2021 20:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by Media Boy (Post 36089979)
Thanks.

@TimeLord. MediaMole has posted the following about Sky Showcase:

https://www.mediamole.co.uk/entertai...se_459089.html

Can you see Sky Showcase listing as posted by Media Mole under any other name?

Just now the schedule for Sky Showcase has turned up on Sky One , it's hard to tell the difference to what it was with Sky Max listings yesterday , yes it has Fresh Prince Of Bel Air along with The Simpsons.

Media Boy UK 16-08-2021 21:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by TimeLord2018 (Post 36089986)
Just now the schedule for Sky Showcase has turned up on Sky One , it's hard to tell the difference to what it was with Sky Max listings yesterday , yes it has Fresh Prince Of Bel Air along with The Simpsons.

Thanks for confirming. So Sky Showcase is now set to launch on Virgin Channel 110 from September 1st.:confused:

---------- Post added at 20:33 ---------- Previous post was at 20:27 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 36089984)
Sky Replay is closing, Media Boy.

Been told tonight that Sky Max* (If Sky Replay stays) and Sky Max HD* is seen as a new channels so Virgin Media need to sign an new deal with Sky before September 1st to launch them.

The Sky One listings after 1st September will also broadcast on Virgin Media as that channel be the new name for Sky One.

*No listing for that brand has been found by TimeLord on digiguide as of 8.30pm on August 16th.

Also If Sky Replay is set to close why is Sky not reusing it EPG Slot on Sky with E!?

Sky EPG slots now:

122. Sky Arts
130. No Channel
145. Sky Replay
151. E!

Sky EPG slots from September 1st:

122. Sky Crime
130. Sky Arts
145. No Channel
151. E!

---------- Post added at 20:52 ---------- Previous post was at 20:33 ----------

With Sky Showcase launching on September 1st what is a point keeping Sky Sports Mix on air as Sky Showcase will broadcast Sport and Movies.

TimeLord2018 16-08-2021 22:20

Perhaps Sky Sports Mix is moving back to 145 if Sky Replay closes.

cheekyangus 16-08-2021 22:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by Media Boy (Post 36089991)
With Sky Showcase launching on September 1st what is a point keeping Sky Sports Mix on air as Sky Showcase will broadcast Sport and Movies.

Sky 1 showcases sport and new movies occasionally, it doing so didn't stop Sky Sports Mix existing.

And Sky Sports Mix is viewed as a home for Women's Sports, also tending to show things that aren't on the other Sky Sports channels, get chopped up and not shown uninterrupted, and things that get relegated behind their Red Button streams. It's not without purpose.

There's no indication that Sky Showcase is going to show any more sport or movies than Sky 1 currently does.

epsilon 17-08-2021 08:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by epsilon (Post 36086923)
As for Virgin Radio UK. Will Virgin ever add more radio stations? The new packages don't list radio stations and rely on the Radioline app.

Famous last words? I've been told that Greatest Hits Radio may be coming soon to a Tivo near you.

cheekyangus 17-08-2021 10:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by epsilon (Post 36090032)
Famous last words? I've been told that Greatest Hits Radio may be coming soon to a Tivo near you.

On Freeview, Greatest Hits Radio replaced another radio station owned by the same company (in this case Heat), so I wouldn't be surprised if they did the same again, rather than increase costs.

Having said that, I don't see any obvious candidates among the Bauer lineup presently on VM.

---------- Post added at 10:00 ---------- Previous post was at 09:36 ----------

Absolute 80s is maybe the one they'd swap it for, now I've had a longer think.

I wouldn't put it past VM if they've put a block on new radio streams launching and will only maintain the existing ones since Radioline is available on V6 and TV360, and Original VM Tivo, which needs these streams, will be becoming an increasingly smaller part of their TV offering.

I wonder what proportion that old box is of those boxes out there? We'll likely never know. The old box's only advantages now are (to my recollection) its dedicated internet connection, for those that don't take VM broadband, and the SCART output for those with older TVs.

Media Boy UK 17-08-2021 11:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by epsilon (Post 36090032)

Quote:

Originally Posted by cheekyangus (Post 36090036)
On Freeview, Greatest Hits Radio replaced another radio station owned by the same company (in this case Heat), so I wouldn't be surprised if they did the same again, rather than increase costs.

Having said that, I don't see any obvious candidates among the Bauer lineup presently on VM.

---------- Post added at 10:00 ---------- Previous post was at 09:36 ----------

Absolute 80s is maybe the one they'd swap it for, now I've had a longer think.

I wouldn't put it past VM if they've put a block on new radio streams launching and will only maintain the existing ones since Radioline is available on V6 and TV360, and Original VM Tivo, which needs these streams, will be becoming an increasingly smaller part of their TV offering.

I wonder what proportion that old box is of those boxes out there? We'll likely never know. The old box's only advantages now are (to my recollection) its dedicated internet connection, for those that don't take VM broadband, and the SCART output for those with older TVs.

We may get the following radio channels as well.

=== Own by Bauer Radio Ltd ====
Absolute 90s
Greatest Hits Radio
Hits Radio
Scala Radio
Jazz FM

---------- Post added at 11:39 ---------- Previous post was at 11:33 ----------

TiVo still have listings for Sky Replay on September 1st.

Sky One (Sky Showcase) will broadcast A League of Their Own at 9am, 10am and 5pm on September 1st.

TimeLord2018 17-08-2021 12:00

I think that's Sky Max listings , if there is no Simpsons , Fresh Prince of Bel Air or Will & Grace which are on Sky Showcase then it's Sky Max listings.

Media Boy UK 17-08-2021 12:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by TimeLord2018 (Post 36090058)
I think that's Sky Max listings , if there is no Simpsons then it's Sky Max listings.

New Amsterdam is being shown on channel 160 on September 1st at midnight.

Full listing for Channel 160 will start appear on the EPG from 8am tomorrow.

(Shows you want to tape appeared today)

TimeLord2018 17-08-2021 12:04

That's still Sky Replay then.

epsilon 17-08-2021 13:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by Media Boy (Post 36090053)
We may get the following radio channels as well.

=== Own by Bauer Radio Ltd ====
Absolute 90s
Greatest Hits Radio
Hits Radio
Scala Radio
Jazz FM

They weren't mentioned.

cheekyangus 17-08-2021 13:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by epsilon (Post 36090074)
They weren't mentioned.

MB may just be listing the other major national branded stations Bauer has in case they add a few at once.

epsilon 17-08-2021 17:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by cheekyangus (Post 36090080)
MB may just be listing the other major national branded stations Bauer has in case they add a few at once.

Right but expecting Bauer to have a uniform policy for the regional and the 1 Golden Square brands is probably too optimistic. :p:

cheekyangus 17-08-2021 18:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by epsilon (Post 36090118)
Right but expecting Bauer to have a uniform policy for the regional and the 1 Golden Square brands is probably too optimistic. :p:

What's regional about any of those he mentioned? They are all on National DAB multiplexes.

epsilon 17-08-2021 18:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by cheekyangus (Post 36090121)
What's regional about any of those he mentioned? They are all on National DAB multiplexes.

GHR isn't, it is the old Bauer City 2 network. Now part of the Hits Radio Brand, which also includes the Hits Radio network. GHR may seem like a national brand as Bauer has bought out most of the remaining independent commercial stations and replaced them with GHR. The national brands operate from One Golden Square with a different management team.

cheekyangus 17-08-2021 18:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by epsilon (Post 36090127)
GHR isn't, it is the old Bauer City 2 network. Now part of the Hits Radio Brand, which also includes the Hits Radio network. GHR may seem like a national brand as Bauer has bought out most of the remaining independent commercial stations and replaced them with GHR. The national brands operate from One Golden Square with a different management team.

I worry about my memory sometimes. Oops. :dunce: Thanks.

Legendkiller2k 18-08-2021 21:31

1 Attachment(s)
This s basically public knowledge as of 9pm tonight, but this looks like it'll be the SKYShowcase logo and ident.
Why ot says SKYShowtime? I have no idea.
Actually scrap that, it's for a new streaming service not SKYshowcase, been a long day at work and brain is frazzled lol.

epsilon 18-08-2021 23:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by Legendkiller2k (Post 36090241)
This s basically public knowledge as of 9pm tonight, but this looks like it'll be the SKYShowcase logo and ident.
Why ot says SKYShowtime? I have no idea.
Actually scrap that, it's for a new streaming service not SKYshowcase, been a long day at work and brain is frazzled lol.

Yes it's this: https://rxtvinfo.com/2021/comcast-vi...h-sky-showtime
https://www.skygroup.sky/en-gb/artic...ropean-markets