Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Virgin Media TV Service (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   VOD : Netflix/Streaming Services (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33695779)

muppetman11 29-05-2015 23:27

Re: Netflix/Streaming Services

Now TV Entertainment Pass £1 for first month.

Link

muppetman11 30-05-2015 09:38

Roku updates software

Link

OLD BOY 01-06-2015 15:54

Just seen this, which relates to the US. Not good news for those of us who were looking forward to Amazon Instant launching on our TIVOs here in the UK.

Well, I am looking to get an LG TV in a couple of months' time, and this will provide me with both Netflix and Amazon Instant. Problem solved for me.

However, it is a huge disappointment. Virgin Media needs to get as many streaming services onto its system as possible to give viewers maximum choice on one box. If they did that, I think it would be a huge draw for subscribers.

Without this, I am concerned that Virgin Media's TV service will no longer be a serious competitor to Sky in the years to come. This could have been cable's USP.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custo...deId=201733000

Extract

Amazon Instant Video will no longer be available on TiVo Series 2, Series 3, and selected TiVo Premiere (Series 4) models after April 15, 2015. As we continually improve our service, it occasionally means we can no longer support applications on certain devices.

The following device models are affected by this change:

TiVo Series 2
TiVo HD (Series 3)
TiVo HD XL (Series 3)
TiVo 160 (Series 3)
TiVo 320 (Series 3)
TiVo Premiere (Series 4) models issued by a cable or satellite provider

zantarous 01-06-2015 19:00

Just buy a separate media steaming deice like the Fire TV or Android TV and job down all the streaming services you want. No point in waiting for Virgin.

batchain 01-06-2015 19:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 35780894)
Just seen this, which relates to the US. Not good news for those of us who were looking forward to Amazon Instant launching on our TIVOs here in the UK.

Well, I am looking to get an LG TV in a couple of months' time, and this will provide me with both Netflix and Amazon Instant. Problem solved for me.

However, it is a huge disappointment. Virgin Media needs to get as many streaming services onto its system as possible to give viewers maximum choice on one box. If they did that, I think it would be a huge draw for subscribers.

Without this, I am concerned that Virgin Media's TV service will no longer be a serious competitor to Sky in the years to come. This could have been cable's USP.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custo...deId=201733000

Extract

Amazon Instant Video will no longer be available on TiVo Series 2, Series 3, and selected TiVo Premiere (Series 4) models after April 15, 2015. As we continually improve our service, it occasionally means we can no longer support applications on certain devices.

The following device models are affected by this change:

TiVo Series 2
TiVo HD (Series 3)
TiVo HD XL (Series 3)
TiVo 160 (Series 3)
TiVo 320 (Series 3)
TiVo Premiere (Series 4) models issued by a cable or satellite provider

It helps if you know what you're talking about before quoting links. This is the old Amazon download service. TiVo Roamio and Tivo Mini users can still stream movies and TV shows from Amazon Instant Video, and the option will be available on Tivo Premiere boxes in 2015.

OLD BOY 01-06-2015 20:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by batchain (Post 35780948)
It helps if you know what you're talking about before quoting links. This is the old Amazon download service. TiVo Roamio and Tivo Mini users can still stream movies and TV shows from Amazon Instant Video, and the option will be available on Tivo Premiere boxes in 2015.

I thought the old service was Amazon Prime?

theone2k10 01-06-2015 20:20

Get nowtv entertainment pass for £3.49p/m for 4 months, sign up for the £1 trial then go to cancel select reason it costs too much and they should offer you £3.40p/m for 4 months.
I did it today.

muppetman11 01-06-2015 20:44

Netflix is testing ads surrounding its shows

Link

harry_hitch 01-06-2015 21:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetman11 (Post 35780961)

Link

Thanks for the link MM. I hope this potential idea falls flat on its face - if it ever comes to fruition. I refuse to be held to ransom if I don't want to watch ads. It's great they may offer a cheaper, ad supported service for those who can't afford it currently, but at no point did I see where they will allow loyal customers to keep the service as it is for them currently.

I will simply cancel it if they want me to pay them more simply not to watch adverts, whether they are for their own shows or not.

Also, if Netflix start, I am pretty others will follow suit very quickly.

---------- Post added at 21:21 ---------- Previous post was at 21:19 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 35780953)
I thought the old service was Amazon Prime?

Not sure what service is old or current, all I know is that the app on my Samsung TV is called Amazon Instant Video.

MalteseFalcon 02-06-2015 07:45

If it is a case of a simple 10 second ad between every other show then I won't have a problem with it.

Mal 02-06-2015 09:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetman11 (Post 35780961)

Link

The link has now been updated.

Quote:

Update: Don't panic just yet! Netflix tells TechCrunch that there are currently "no plans" to run third-party ads. Instead, this would be more to get you checking out other exclusive shows (say, Bloodlines) once you're looking for something new to watch. CEO Reed Hastings posted on Facebook that there's "No advertising coming onto Netflix. Period."

johnathome 02-06-2015 15:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by MarkC1984 (Post 35780990)
If it is a case of a simple 10 second ad between every other show then I won't have a problem with it.

From the link i read earlier it'll only be adverts for their own shows, much like the BBC do.

So, for example, if you watch daredevil you'll see a trailer for House Of Cards.

There is to be no 3rd party adverts.

Anypermitedroute 02-06-2015 15:41

For the moment......:)

MutleyF 02-06-2015 16:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by theone2k10 (Post 35780957)
Get nowtv entertainment pass for £3.49p/m for 4 months, sign up for the £1 trial then go to cancel select reason it costs too much and they should offer you £3.40p/m for 4 months.
I did it today.

typical - I try and they tell me they will change the full £6.99 a month rather than the trial of £1

Must be because I have used an entertainment pass before

theone2k10 02-06-2015 16:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by MutleyF (Post 35781087)
typical - I try and they tell me they will change the full £6.99 a month rather than the trial of £1

Must be because I have used an entertainment pass before

Create a new account use a different card and email if you can.