Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Current Affairs (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   The energy crisis (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33710394)

1andrew1 25-08-2022 10:26

Re: The energy crisis

Quote:

Originally Posted by Julian (Post 36132323)
Agreed but what I was referring to is the price rises from 1/10.

Do not give people handouts to pay the power bills.
Reduce the bills.

Agreed and I think that way does not impact inflation.

Inactive Digital 25-08-2022 11:56

Although the new price cap doesn't come into force until 1 October, it's possible that energy companies could increase direct debits beforehand - they have to give notice to customers beforehand though.

1andrew1 25-08-2022 12:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inactive Digital (Post 36132332)
Although the new price cap doesn't come into force until 1 October, it's possible that energy companies could increase direct debits beforehand - they have to give notice to customers beforehand though.

Good point.

Jaymoss 25-08-2022 12:06

current leccy max price is Unit rate: 28.11p per kWh Standing charge: 50.27p per day

current gas Unit rate: 7.37p per kWh Standing charge: 27.22p per day

Predicted leccy Unit rate: 52.09p per kWh Standing charge: 46p per day

Predicted Gas Unit rate: 28.34p per kWh Standing charge: 45.34p per day

Predictions taken from Moneysavingexpert and the current from Ofgem we will know tomorrow what it will be

tweetiepooh 25-08-2022 12:09

It's the rise in gas that hits us as we cook and heat with gas, our leccy usage is lower than average. Can't see much changing, I can't use induction so will need to keep using gas for cooking and the idea of fans whirring and not having proper heating rules out heat pumps.

1andrew1 25-08-2022 12:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by tweetiepooh (Post 36132335)
It's the rise in gas that hits us as we cook and heat with gas, our leccy usage is lower than average. Can't see much changing, I can't use induction so will need to keep using gas for cooking and the idea of fans whirring and not having proper heating rules out heat pumps.

Are solar panels a possibility with an electric boiler?

tweetiepooh 25-08-2022 12:16

We have solar panels (getting very nice FIT payments) but combi boiler and no space for tanks. Electric shower for most washing and cold feeds to appliances.

Jaymoss 25-08-2022 12:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by tweetiepooh (Post 36132335)

I use little gas so the rise in standing charge hits my gas bill. I use a fair bit of leccy though. Done some provisional maths and my bill will be about £185 a month I have £300 credit and with the £400 going in over 6 months I do not really need to increase my DD from £110 but I am going to raise it to £150 the credit and Gov payment will leave me with a nice balance come Jan for it to cover me till April and then see. I have deliberately built up a balance in preparation for the hard winter

In theory paying £150 a month by April I should still have my £300 balance left and hopefully el gov will do something by then

Paul 25-08-2022 12:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1andrew1 (Post 36132313)
If you're on a fixed price deal as I believe most people are...

By now I would think few people are still on a fixed contracts, most have come to an end, and you cant really get new ones.

1andrew1 25-08-2022 12:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul (Post 36132341)
By now I would think few people are still on a fixed contracts, most have come to an end, and you cant really get new ones.

Anecdotally, I know 8 people on a fixed contract and one on a variable meter so that's probably influencing my view. But my experiences can't be taken to represent the country and I would be interested to know the actually data.

Inactive Digital 25-08-2022 12:37

Quote:

I managed to fix with British Gas in February until next June. The tariff wasn't on their website or price comparison sites so it might be worth contacting your existing supplier to see what they can offer, though I appreciate it's unlikely to make that much difference at this stage.

mrmistoffelees 25-08-2022 13:08

We managed to fix with Scottish Power in either Jan or Feb this year, fixed for two years with no exit/change fee. still doubled our monthly payment, and that was after having a long conversation with them

1andrew1 25-08-2022 14:47

Quote:

Solar farm plans refused at highest rate for five years in Great Britain

Exclusive: Projects which would have cut annual electricity bills by £100m turned down

Solar farms are being refused planning permission in Great Britain at the highest rate in five years, analysis has found, with projects which would have cut £100m off annual electricity bills turned down in the past 18 months.

Planning permission for 23 solar farms was refused across England, Wales and Scotland between January 2021 and July 2022, which could have produced enough renewable energy to power an estimated 147,000 homes annually, according to analysis of government figures by the planning and development consultancy Turley.

The refusals have jumped significantly since the start of 2021 – the research found only four projects were refused planning permission during 2017, 2018, 2019 and 2020 combined.

There are fears such refusals could increase further as the Tory leadership contenders, Liz Truss and Rishi Sunak, have made disparaging comments about solar farms.

If Truss proceeds with her plans to crack down on solar farms she would be going against the government’s energy security strategy published this spring.

Emma Kelly, an associate director at Turley, said: “Solar should be a key contributor to the energy market, especially as we look to diversify our renewable energy products to ensure maintenance of supply.

“The significant uplift in planning permission refusal for solar farms goes entirely against the proposals laid out in the government’s British energy security strategy. Solar power currently contributes 14GW of energy at present, so we have some way to go before reaching the 70GW target. If Liz Truss goes ahead with her plan, the British energy security strategy will need to be rewritten.
https://www.theguardian.com/environm...-great-britain

Hugh 25-08-2022 16:13

Quote:

Yup, that’s what happened to us in June…

pip08456 25-08-2022 18:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by papa smurf (Post 36132321)
I went to see my friend yesterday, prior to last week he had a land lord installed coin electric meter in his flat, now he has one of these https://www.topupmeters.co.uk/ installed by his landlord, will he get the £400 pound discount, there are 7 flats with these meters that are satellites of the main meter for the building.

I doubt it.

papa smurf 25-08-2022 19:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by pip08456 (Post 36132395)
I doubt it.

That's quite worrying as he's 81 and state pension is his only income:(

Damien 25-08-2022 20:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by papa smurf (Post 36132321)
I went to see my friend yesterday, prior to last week he had a land lord installed coin electric meter in his flat, now he has one of these https://www.topupmeters.co.uk/ installed by his landlord, will he get the £400 pound discount, there are 7 flats with these meters that are satellites of the main meter for the building.

Who pays the bill and has the contract? Sounds like the landlord would be getting it and are meant to pass it on but not legally obliged...

papa smurf 25-08-2022 20:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by Damien (Post 36132415)
Who pays the bill and has the contract? Sounds like the landlord would be getting it and are meant to pass it on but not legally obliged...

It's the landlord but i guess he will only get 1x£400 for the entire property of 7 flats

pip08456 25-08-2022 21:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by papa smurf (Post 36132416)
It's the landlord but i guess he will only get 1x£400 for the entire property of 7 flats

Correct, he only pays one bill.

Damien 25-08-2022 21:18

It doesn't sound like he is even covered by the price cap: https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/ab...-energy-bills/

Quote:

Some tenants are charged via “sub-meters” where landlords organise energy for the building, often through a business energy supply contract. As the price cap does not apply to these contracts, tenants can see rapid price increases and miss out on support. People with prepay “sub-meters” are especially at risk, as they could be left without energy if they cannot afford to top up

Damien 26-08-2022 07:14

The predictions have come true: https://news.sky.com/story/energy-bi...3-549-12681213

Quote:

Energy bills to soar for millions as price cap hiked to £3,549
Huge increase

Mr K 26-08-2022 07:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by Damien (Post 36132443)
The predictions have come true: https://news.sky.com/story/energy-bi...3-549-12681213

Huge increase

Never mind at least the Brexit promise of scrapping VAT on fuel has been honoured, and wasn't another lie....

Hugh 26-08-2022 07:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by Damien (Post 36132443)

Huge increase

Nearly three times what it was last winter,,,

https://ichef.bbci.co.uk/live-experi...c740ced897.png

peanut 26-08-2022 07:39

These increases are going to change everything. It'll be goodbye to pubs, chippies, a lot of small businesses etc. Probably end up going to 3-4 day week openings for a some businesses. A lot of people just can not afford it full stop. What a complete mess it all is. And that's just for starters, if predictions are correct this is just the beginning.

denphone 26-08-2022 07:52

And these are the updated forecasts for the next two 3 monthly price cap announcements from Cornwall Insight’s whose forecast for todays October price cap just announced was pretty much spot on.

https://www.cornwall-insight.com/cor...ber-price-cap/

1andrew1 26-08-2022 08:08

If we didn't have a failed Johnson zombie government, we might know if we're expected to pick up the full whack. Instead, due to the bureaucratic and slow-moving process, millions of Brits will have sleepless nights until the next prime minister is in power. :mad:

papa smurf 26-08-2022 08:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1andrew1 (Post 36132448)
If we didn't have a failed Johnson zombie government, we might know if we're expected to pick up the full whack. Instead, due to the bureaucratic and slow-moving process, millions of Brits will have sleepless nights until the next prime minister is in power. :mad:

It didn't fail, Boris was hounded out, enjoy the fruits of your labour.

jfman 26-08-2022 08:53

This is the guy who his first response to Covid was to tell the public he'd gone round hospitals shaking hands with suspected patients. Hounded out or not, he's out of ideas.

---------- Post added at 08:53 ---------- Previous post was at 08:50 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by peanut (Post 36132446)
These increases are going to change everything. It'll be goodbye to pubs, chippies, a lot of small businesses etc. Probably end up going to 3-4 day week openings for a some businesses. A lot of people just can not afford it full stop. What a complete mess it all is. And that's just for starters, if predictions are correct this is just the beginning.

The "we must do all we can to protect retail/hospitality" brigade from 2020/21 are surprisingly silent since these are the supposed lifeblood of the economy.

peanut 26-08-2022 08:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfman (Post 36132451)
This is the guy who his first response to Covid was to tell the public he'd gone round hospitals shaking hands with suspected patients. Hounded out or not, he's out of ideas.

Well he's the one laughing now.. He doesn't have to deal with the shit he's left behind.

Julian 26-08-2022 09:09

Seriously why are people running around like headless chickens?

Until whatever help is going to be introduced is announced there is NOTHING you can do about it.

This perpetual crap induced by a toxic media is becoming increasingly boring.

I suggest people concern themselves when the true effect is known.

Sun forecast for the bank holiday get out and enjoy it. ;)

GrimUpNorth 26-08-2022 09:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by Julian (Post 36132455)
Seriously why are people running around like headless chickens?

Until whatever help is going to be introduced is announced there is NOTHING you can do about it.

This perpetual crap induced by a toxic media is becoming increasingly boring.

I suggest people concern themselves when the true effect is known.

Sun forecast for the bank holiday get out and enjoy it. ;)

I think people are 'running around like headless chickens' because they are genuinely worried. Telling us not to concern ourselves until the true effect is known would be like me telling you not to worry if your company announced staff would find out in a few weeks if they are going to be amongst the 90% of staff to be made redundant.

jfman 26-08-2022 09:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by GrimUpNorth (Post 36132459)
I think people are 'running around like headless chickens' because they are genuinely worried. Telling us not to concern ourselves until the true effect is known would be like me telling you not to worry if your company announced staff would find out in a few weeks if they are going to be amongst the 90% of staff to be made redundant.

He's right about one thing though there's nothing we can do about it, that's precisely why people look to government in a time of crisis.

Mr K 26-08-2022 09:36

Our Government has lept into action this morning to reassure the public....
Well they would have done, but turns out we haven't got a Govt atm. Too busy doing their annual playground backstabbing each other. Power is everything, literally....

Wonder if Rishi is concerned about the heating costs for his new £400k swimming pool he's added to his mansion? Do the plebs spare a thought for the poor sod ? We should crowd fund some help for him.

GrimUpNorth 26-08-2022 09:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfman (Post 36132463)
He's right about one thing though there's nothing we can do about it, that's precisely why people look to government in a time of crisis.

True, the ineptitude of the government certainly won't be helping - it'll be making it much much worse for some people. I don't understand why both candidates can't say now what they'll do. If they're concerned about the one upmanship we've seen to date, then they could both release a written plan at the same time (but that would mean caring for more people than the paid up party members).

1andrew1 26-08-2022 09:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by papa smurf (Post 36132450)
It didn't fail, Boris was hounded out, enjoy the fruits of your labour.

You mistake me for Sunak or Javid.

jfman 26-08-2022 09:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by GrimUpNorth (Post 36132465)
True, the ineptitude of the government certainly won't be helping - it'll be making it much much worse for some people. I don't understand why both candidates can't say now what they'll do. If they're concerned about the one upmanship we've seen to date, then they could both release a written plan at the same time (but that would mean caring for more people than the paid up party members).

Presumably both have plans they know will be woefully inadequate. One going public hands the other an open goal - to commit to doing slightly more. Which they don't want to do.

Damien 26-08-2022 09:48

The Government will do something, they don't have any other option. We just need to wait until they stop sucking up to Tory Members and trying to act the hardman/woman.

Taf 26-08-2022 09:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by peanut (Post 36132446)
It'll be goodbye to pubs, chippies, a lot of small businesses etc. Probably end up going to 3-4 day week openings for a some businesses.

These places are not protected by the Cap, and have been paying fully retail prices for energy already. I know of 2 who are powering their businesses using extension leads from attached flats that are somewhat protected by it.

1andrew1 26-08-2022 10:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by Damien (Post 36132471)
The Government will do something, they don't have any other option. We just need to wait until they stop sucking up to Tory Members and trying to act the hardman/woman.

Will Truss's tax cuts be postponed?

denphone 26-08-2022 10:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by GrimUpNorth (Post 36132465)

There was not even one government minister doing the rounds on the airwaves this morning.

Not a great look in a time of grave crisis.

Damien 26-08-2022 11:00

They don't care. They think they'll win the next election so they can mess around with Johnson having his sulking tour and Liz Truss and Sunak (who to be fair has said we need to help people with energy bills) are more concerned about appealing to Tory Members who can assume don't care about this issue as much as they care about tax cuts.

But they will do something next month. They don't have an option not to do so. It's bad for those of us earning salaries of course but people on disability allowance and other schemes simply cannot afford these rises. It's not a case of it being difficult, it's not a case of cutting out luxuries and economising. It's unaffordable.

Paul 26-08-2022 11:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1andrew1 (Post 36132448)

Which will be at the start of September, the rises dont take effect until October.
Seems more like your usual the anti govenrment rants just trying to be dramatic for no real reason.
There are already known plans in place, they will no doubt be changed, but it makes little real difference if thats announced now, or in two weeks.

Mr K 26-08-2022 12:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul (Post 36132483)
Which will be at the start of September, the rises dont take effect until October.
Seems more like your usual the anti govenrment rants just trying to be dramatic for no real reason.
There are already known plans in place, they will no doubt be changed, but it makes little real difference if thats announced now, or in two weeks.

Tbf HM Gov have given us their masterplan , 'use less energy" https://twitter.com/SamCoatesSky/sta...-business-live

So we can all switch off those routers, tv boxes and computers for a start. Simples.

Jaymoss 26-08-2022 12:29

So the predictions I was told not to worry about were pretty damn close. Trying to find new unit rates

---------- Post added at 12:29 ---------- Previous post was at 12:27 ----------

From 1 October the equivalent per unit level of the price cap to the nearest pence for a typical customer paying by direct debit will be 52p per kWh for electricity customers and a standing charge of 46p per day. The equivalent per unit level for a typical gas customer is 15p per kWh with a standing charge of 28p per day.

From Ofgem

I notice the Gas standing charge increase did not happen at least

1andrew1 26-08-2022 12:33

Quote:

Time is important. If you want to target support you need to do things like cross reconcile the HMRC database with the energy retailers' databases. That's not a quick task.

Mr K 26-08-2022 12:40

I predict those smart people that don't have Smart meters will use a heck of a lot energy August/September, but very little from October onwards .
The energy companies buy in advance, why can't we ? :)

Paul 26-08-2022 12:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1andrew1 (Post 36132487)
Time is important.

When you're basing you attacks on it, of course it is.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1andrew1 (Post 36132487)
If you want to target support you need to do things like cross reconcile the HMRC database with the energy retailers' databases. That's not a quick task.

You have a lot of experience with databases do you ?

---------- Post added at 12:41 ---------- Previous post was at 12:40 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr K (Post 36132488)
I predict those smart people that don't have Smart meters will use a heck of a lot energy August/September, but very little from October onwards .
The energy companies buy in advance, why can't we ? :)

How exactly does a smart meter allow you to buy in advance ?

Mr K 26-08-2022 12:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul (Post 36132489)
How exactly does a smart meter allow you to buy in advance ?

It doesn't but if you don't have a smart meter you can ;)

Damien 26-08-2022 13:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul (Post 36132489)
You have a lot of experience with databases do you ?

To be fair if they really were going to cross-reference the 'HMRC database' against the energy companies' customer databases that probably won't be a quick and easy task. So much so that I doubt they'll take that approach.

---------- Post added at 13:01 ---------- Previous post was at 12:59 ----------

Quote:

It's better to announce it sooner not only to give people peace of mind but if it does require some logistical work to be done that might take time. They haven't confirmed a plan because they don't have a PM yet and the two candidates have been disagreeing on what support to give.

TheDaddy 26-08-2022 13:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by Damien (Post 36132492)

It's better to announce it sooner not only to give people peace of mind but if it does require some logistical work to be done that might take time. They haven't confirmed a plan because they don't have a PM yet and the two candidates have been disagreeing on what support to give.

If only we had an actual leader, someone in charge that could that could get Rich and dizzy lizzy by the ear and force them to a consensus, if he's in between holidays perhaps bozo could consider that more of a priority than sulking

jfman 26-08-2022 14:41

I don’t think it’s necessarily an anti-Government position to think there should be something more comprehensive announced earlier. Consumer confidence (to the extent that exists at all any more) relies upon certainty, or at least a strong belief that something will happen. Otherwise people will be planning ahead to the extent they can, crushing discretionary spend in the economy and the industries that rely upon it until people know what will be affordable for them.

papa smurf 26-08-2022 14:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfman (Post 36132497)
I don’t think it’s necessarily an anti-Government position to think there should be something more comprehensive announced earlier. Consumer confidence (to the extent that exists at all any more) relies upon certainty, or at least a strong belief that something will happen. Otherwise people will be planning ahead to the extent they can, crushing discretionary spend in the economy and the industries that rely upon it until people know what will be affordable for them.

BBBUT having a prime minister in place to run the country and make these decisions wasn't as important as revenge for a slice of cake, you can't have your cake revenge and eat it.

GrimUpNorth 26-08-2022 14:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by papa smurf (Post 36132498)
BBBUT having a prime minister in place to run the country and make these decisions wasn't as important as revenge for a slice of cake, you can't have your cake revenge and eat it.

Why not?

Damien 26-08-2022 14:55

There is a PM. Just because he's checked out in a massive sulk doesn't mean he isn't PM. If he had any sense of public duty he would do his job until it's finished.

papa smurf 26-08-2022 14:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by GrimUpNorth (Post 36132499)
Why not?

His authority is gone, unless someone declares war on us.
still well done all the moaners and whiners you got rid of him enjoy the benefits

daveeb 26-08-2022 15:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by papa smurf (Post 36132502)
still well done all the moaners and whiners you got rid of him enjoy the benefits

As you well know nobody on here got rid of him, eventually it was his own party who realised he was a liability and got rid purely for self serving reasons though, not the good of the country.

Damien 26-08-2022 15:14

This kind of inaction and self-obsession is more proof it was right the Tories got rid of him.

papa smurf 26-08-2022 15:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by Damien (Post 36132506)
This kind of inaction and self-obsession is more proof it was right the Tories got rid of him.

What exactly do you think he could do?

nashville 26-08-2022 15:18

Hard times for us all, I feel sorry for people on Prepayment meters

peanut 26-08-2022 15:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by nashville (Post 36132508)
Hard times for us all, I feel sorry for people on Prepayment meters

Smart meters I agree. But I've topped up on gas before the 1st increase and it'll stay at the rate I paid for it till it runs out. Which should be about another 4 years or so.

denphone 26-08-2022 15:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by papa smurf (Post 36132502)

His own party got rid of him if my memory serves me right as nearly 60 ministers resigned before he himself resigned as prime minister.

It was a Tory party coup, nothing more, nothing less.

Damien 26-08-2022 15:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by papa smurf (Post 36132507)
What exactly do you think he could do?

He could announce the next package of support and not worry that the new candidates would prefer to do it. He is the PM. He still has tools at his disposal.

jfman 26-08-2022 15:55

Boris speaks, Zahawi says to use less.

https://www.theguardian.com/business...-business-live

Damien 26-08-2022 15:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by peanut (Post 36132509)
Smart meters I agree. But I've topped up on gas before the 1st increase and it'll stay at the rate I paid for it till it runs out. Which should be about another 4 years or so.

Really? What kind of system is that? Usually most of these you're topping it with cash and it charges that amount by the cost of energy at the time of usage.

denphone 26-08-2022 15:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by Damien (Post 36132514)
Really? What kind of system is that? Usually most of these you're topping it with cash and it charges that amount by the cost of energy at the time of usage.

That is how our smart meter works.

papa smurf 26-08-2022 15:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by Damien (Post 36132512)
He could announce the next package of support and not worry that the new candidates would prefer to do it. He is the PM. He still has tools at his disposal.

Maybe there isn't one yet and the new PM will make that decision.

peanut 26-08-2022 15:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by Damien (Post 36132514)

With a non smart card meter, you pay for the rate at the time you pay for it.

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/ne...per-rates-for/

papa smurf 26-08-2022 16:03

An Ofgem spokesperson told Moneysavingexpert.com: "Smart prepayment meters update prices automatically – so topping up in advance would not make a difference. With non-smart prepayment meters, the price customers pay is fixed at the point they top up.

TheDaddy 26-08-2022 16:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by papa smurf (Post 36132498)

Presumably he's not taking a salary at the moment then

Pierre 26-08-2022 16:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfman (Post 36132497)

No good having a bleeding heart over the economy now jfman, after cheerleading lockdowns and furloughs that kickstarted the inflationary crisis.

jfman 26-08-2022 16:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pierre (Post 36132522)
No good having a bleeding heart over the economy now jfman, after cheerleading lockdowns and furloughs that kickstarted the inflationary crisis.

Now, now Pierre. You must have missed the memo from CCHQ. It’s Putin’s fault, and this is a wartime effort. Churchill and all that. Blitz spirit.

How’s inflation in Sweden?

Mr K 26-08-2022 16:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfman (Post 36132523)
Now, now Pierre. You must have missed the memo from CCHQ. It’s Putin’s fault, and this is a wartime effort. Churchill and all that. Blitz spirit.

It'll also be the fault of remainers, BOE, the EU, the civil service, the NHS, lazy British workers and Sooty.

Pierre 26-08-2022 16:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfman (Post 36132523)

Better than ours.

jfman 26-08-2022 16:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pierre (Post 36132525)
Better than ours.

That’s not saying much :rofl:

1andrew1 26-08-2022 22:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by Damien (Post 36132501)
There is a PM. Just because he's checked out in a massive sulk doesn't mean he isn't PM. If he had any sense of public duty he would do his job until it's finished.

It's a real shame buyers' remorse isn't an energy source; if it were, we'd have the lowest energy prices in Europe instead of one of the highest.

Pierre 27-08-2022 09:50

1 Attachment(s)
How would nationalising the energy operators reduce costs from this breakdown?

jfman 27-08-2022 09:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pierre (Post 36132563)
How would nationalising the energy operators reduce costs from this breakdown?

By taking control of our energy strategy and linking the price to the cost of extraction as opposed to having it controlled by speculation in essentially a financial market.

https://www.cableforum.uk/board/show...postcount=4237

I couldn’t have put it better myself. We just lack the will.

Jaymoss 27-08-2022 10:16

I know it is supply and demand and all that but the producers do not have to charge exaggerated prices just because they can. People like that will first up against the wall come the inevitable revolution (not saying this will cause the revolution but as the world climate and over population it really is inevitable)

pip08456 27-08-2022 11:28

U.K. facing beer shortage as key carbon dioxide producer pauses operations.

Quote:

On Wednesday, CF Fertilizers—one of the largest fertilizer producers in the U.K.—released an extremely consequential statement for British brewers and pubs.

The company will be temporarily suspending its production of ammonia at one of its largest plants, citing rising costs for natural gas and carbon leading to “uneconomical” market conditions.

Ammonia is a key ingredient used in fertilizer, but the manufacturing process behind it also creates a very useful byproduct: carbon dioxide. Producers like CF Fertilizers then sell the resultant CO2 to brewers who use it to carbonate beer and give it its distinctive fizz.

But the halt in ammonia production means that brewers and beer lovers won’t be able to rely on CF’s CO2 for a while.

“Once the ammonia plant is safely shut down, CO2 production, which is a byproduct of the ammonia production process, will stop until the plant is restarted,” the company said in its statement.
https://fortune.com/2022/08/25/uk-ca...-supply-snags/

Edit: Forgot the link

nomadking 27-08-2022 11:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaymoss (Post 36132566)
i know it is supply and demand and all that but the producers do not have to charge exaggerated prices just because they can. People like that will first up against the wall come the inevitable revolution (not saying this will cause the revolution but as the world climate and over population it really is inevitable)

how many more times. The producers do not set the prices.

---------- Post added at 11:44 ---------- Previous post was at 11:41 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by pip08456 (Post 36132568)
U.K. facing beer shortage as key carbon dioxide producer pauses operations.

According the the Green and Organic mobs, the plant shouldn't exist as they want to ban fertiliser. How would that work?

Jaymoss 27-08-2022 11:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by nomadking (Post 36132569)
how many more times. The producers do not set the prices.

---------- Post added at 11:44 ---------- Previous post was at 11:41 ----------

According the the Green and Organic mobs, the plant shouldn't exist as they want to ban fertiliser. How would that work?

as many times as you want cuz I do not accept it

Paul 27-08-2022 12:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfman (Post 36132564)
By taking control of our energy strategy and linking the price to the cost of extraction as opposed to having it controlled by speculation in essentially a financial market.

Which presumably you can only do if you are the one doing the actual extraction.

---------- Post added at 12:00 ---------- Previous post was at 11:52 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaymoss (Post 36132571)
as many times as you want cuz I do not accept it

Do enlighten us all then, how are they set ?

Jaymoss 27-08-2022 12:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul (Post 36132572)
Which presumably you can only do if you are the one doing the actual extraction.

---------- Post added at 12:00 ---------- Previous post was at 11:52 ----------

Do enlighten us all then, how are they set ?

A lot of the time it is governed by OPEC. If they want prices to rise they hold back oil if they want them to drop they let it flow. In the current market with Russia's Gas not coming into Europe and high consumption in India and China the demand for what is available is high. So basically providers can charge what they want because demand is high a supplies are limited. You can tell me different and tell me some political reason for it but lets face those in real power are not the people who argue in parliaments across the world

jfman 27-08-2022 12:42

Can always just find a way to give it a nudge if you think it could go higher.

https://www.bbc.com/news/science-env...t-62652133.amp

Chris 27-08-2022 16:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfman (Post 36132581)
Can always just find a way to give it a nudge if you think it could go higher.

https://www.bbc.com/news/science-env...t-62652133.amp

Quite.

This is a war for which Russia has well prepared. While Europe (principally, Germany) was lashing itself to the Russian gas network and telling itself it was civilising the hordes, Putin was playing an extremely long game designed to make it extremely difficult for Western countries to seriously oppose his plans to reassert Moscow's influence in former Soviet territories.

Reliance on Russian gas ought in the first instance to have prevented any serious western response to Russian expansionism, a la Crimea 2014. Given that his attempt to actually conquer a neighbour demanded a strong response then plan B is to blunt that response over the longer term. Warm words from Paris and Berlin in the summer are one thing. It will be another matter once the home fires start going out this winter.

OLD BOY 27-08-2022 20:22

There’s nothing going warm about the coming winter. Buy your hot water bottles now!

Jaymoss 27-08-2022 20:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 36132629)
There’s nothing going warm about the coming winter. Buy your hot water bottles now!

last winter I just wrapped up in a sleeping bag and fully intend to do the same this winter

OLD BOY 27-08-2022 20:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaymoss (Post 36132632)
last winter I just wrapped up in a sleeping bag and fully intend to do the same this winter

I think I’ll not tell my wife about your ideal remedy! That’s grounds for divorce!!

Pierre 27-08-2022 20:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfman (Post 36132564)

https://www.cableforum.uk/board/show...postcount=4237

I couldn’t have put it better myself. We just lack the will.

Intelligent bloke you’ve quoted there.

Jaymoss 27-08-2022 20:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 36132633)
I think I’ll not tell my wife about your ideal remedy! That’s grounds for divorce!!

I have survived worse winters than we get now with nothing but a damp tin box to live in. Although I am in poor health now but hey if a winter finishes me off I will become one less burden on the tax payer

OLD BOY 27-08-2022 21:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaymoss (Post 36132637)
I have survived worse winters than we get now with nothing but a damp tin box to live in. Although I am in poor health now but hey if a winter finishes me off I will become one less burden on the tax payer

And a sad loss to the Cable Forum, I should add! Stay safe.

Pierre 27-08-2022 23:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaymoss (Post 36132637)

Well when I was a kid we had to live in a rolled up newspaper, eat a handful of hot gravel a day, pay the mill owner to work and when we got home we’d get chopped up into a thousand pieces and my dad would dance on our graves.

Jaymoss 27-08-2022 23:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pierre (Post 36132648)
Well when I was a kid we had to live in a rolled up newspaper, eat a handful of hot gravel a day, pay the mill owner to work and when we got home we’d get chopped up into a thousand pieces and my dad would dance on our graves.

Well am very sorry you had to go through that and am glad the kings horses and men manged to put you back together

richard-john56 28-08-2022 12:28

Quote:

You were lucky

Mad Max 28-08-2022 12:35

Quote:

Luxury.:D

Paul 28-08-2022 12:36

Ok, lets get back to the topic :)

Jaymoss 29-08-2022 16:22

https://www.ft.com/content/02f848fc-...f-26109d79db89

EU starting to do something about it. I hope this kicks our lot up the butt to stop them looking like a bunch of jackasses late to the party

OLD BOY 29-08-2022 16:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaymoss (Post 36132752)
https://www.ft.com/content/02f848fc-...f-26109d79db89

EU starting to do something about it. I hope this kicks our lot up the butt to stop them looking like a bunch of jackasses late to the party

We will hear about what our government will do about energy prices when the new administration is in place.

We would have done something before now, but some people thought cakes and parties were more important.

This is what happens when you let trivia guide you instead of addressing the real issues. Hopefully, lesson learned, but alas, some will never learn. There could be a full scale invasion and some people would still complain that no-one was fixing the transmitter that had been taken out by enemy bombs. As a country, we need to focus.

Mr K 29-08-2022 16:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 36132754)
We will hear about what our government will do about energy prices when the new administration is in place.

We would have done something before now, but some people thought cakes and parties were more important.

This is what happens when you let trivia guide you instead of addressing the real issues. Hopefully, lesson learned, but alas, some will never learn. There could be a full scale invasion and some people would still complain that no-one was fixing the transmitter that had been taken out by enemy bombs. As a country, we need to focus.

The lawbreaking bloke is still there, being paid, and allegedly still in charge. However he's had to take some hols as all that partying is tiring. So the UK government. has been closed for a couple of months. Fair enough, let the peasants eat cake etc.

Chris 29-08-2022 16:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 36132754)

Aaah right, got it. There was me thinking it was Boris Johnson’s fault for flagrantly ignoring his own emergency laws (while the rest of us missed weddings, funerals and everything else), or his MPs’ fault for backing him instead of removing him at the first opportunity, when all along it was the fault of those who demand basic standards of integrity from those chosen to lead us.

Thanks for clarifying this. So next time someone proves they’re unfit for high office we’ll just leave them to get on with it anyway, just in case there’s an emergency around the corner.

You really have become a self parody lately.