Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Current Affairs (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Updated: Boris resigns as party leader (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33710650)

daveeb 25-01-2022 18:32

Re: All those No.10 lockdown parties

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1andrew1 (Post 36111087)
Do people think that when Johnson resigns, he will also resign as an MP or will he remain as an MP until the 2024 election?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave42 (Post 36111088)
i think he resign as a MP as well but we will see

I wish I shared your joint optimism, I'm starting to think he's going to duck and dive his way out of this somehow. :erm:

Mick 25-01-2022 18:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave42 (Post 36111088)
i think he resign as a MP as well but we will see

Why should he resign as an MP?

You currently got a former Labour MP, Claudia Webb, until she had whip removed, who was charged with threatening to throw Acid and received a suspended jail sentence for doing so, sitting as a Independent MP.

Plus Corbyn, who did little to curb Antisemitism in the Labour Party, also sitting as a Independent MP (who has tweeted in last hour he’s lost his latest round of being readmitted to the Labour Party).

Mad Max 25-01-2022 19:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mick (Post 36111090)

You currently got a former Labour MP, Claudia Webb, until she had whip removed, who was charged with threatening to throw Acid and received a suspended jail sentence for doing so, sitting as a Independent MP.

Plus Corbyn, who did little to curb Antisemitism in the Labour Party, also sitting as a Independent MP (who has tweeted in last hour he’s lost his latest round of being readmitted to the Labour Party).

:clap::clap:

OLD BOY 25-01-2022 19:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by BenMcr (Post 36111076)
I can't see that being a widely shared view about trying to reverse Brexit. You can't stop something that's done either.

Also how can you have 'Remainiacs' when we've left?

They used to be known as 'remoaners' because they simply would not shut up about it. Now they seem to have morphed into 'rejoiners'.

---------- Post added at 19:08 ---------- Previous post was at 19:05 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave42 (Post 36111077)
it not about Brexit at all it about him making rules for everyone and none for him and all his lies about it he thinks he above the law

And you say this before the Gray report is published and the police have completed their investigation. Interesting.

Boris is still saying he will be exonerated, by the way. I predict there will be a lot of eggs on faces. The only question that remains is which direction they will fly.

---------- Post added at 19:10 ---------- Previous post was at 19:08 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1andrew1 (Post 36111079)
Spot on Ben. No large UK political party has rejoin in their manifesto.

It's interesting that on this forum, Leave voters like Chris and Seph are at the head of the queue in demanding Johnson does the decent thing and resign, in order to increase the Conservatives' electoral chances in 2024.

Deny it as much as you like, but I can assure you there is a rejoin movement. No political party has embraced it....yet.

---------- Post added at 19:11 ---------- Previous post was at 19:10 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carth (Post 36111081)
I was simply pointing out that Politicians and Businesses are well known to tell lies, and often get away with it

Everybody does, Carth. Ever since Adam and Eve.

---------- Post added at 19:13 ---------- Previous post was at 19:11 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1andrew1 (Post 36111087)
Do people think that when Johnson resigns, he will also resign as an MP or will he remain as an MP until the 2024 election?

He won't resign (no need to) and he will remain as PM to fight another election.

Sorry to be the one to burst your balloon, Andrew.

---------- Post added at 19:14 ---------- Previous post was at 19:13 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by daveeb (Post 36111089)
I wish I shared your joint optimism, I'm starting to think he's going to duck and dive his way out of this somehow. :erm:

No need to duck and dive. The facts will speak for themselves and he will be exonerated. You'll see.

Damien 25-01-2022 19:14

Quote:

Well I think they should resign, especially Webb to be fair.

Dave42 25-01-2022 19:27

Quote:

i did not say he should resign as MP Mick i was answering Andrews question that is all

yes agree Corbyn did nothing to curb Antisemitism same as Johnson as done nothing to curb islamophobia in the tory party

Mick 25-01-2022 19:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave42 (Post 36111100)
i did not say he should resign as MP Mick i was answering Andrews question that is all

yes agree Corbyn did nothing to curb Antisemitism same as Johnson as done nothing to curb islamophobia in the tory party

There is no islamophobia in the Tory Party. But nice try at deflection.

Dave42 25-01-2022 19:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mick (Post 36111101)

tell baroness Warsi that and other tories that said it then

BenMcr 25-01-2022 19:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mick (Post 36111101)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave42 (Post 36111102)

https://news.sky.com/story/tory-isla...finds-12316516

Quote:

Anti-Muslim sentiment "remains a problem" within the Conservative Party, an independent report has found.

Professor Swaran Singh, a former equality and human rights commissioner, analysed 1,418 complaints relating to 727 separate incidents as recorded in the Tories' complaints database between 2015 and 2020.

OLD BOY 25-01-2022 19:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by Damien (Post 36111099)
Well I think they should resign, especially Webb to be fair.

Did Tony Blair resign over the cash for honours police investigation? No! And he was interviewed three times over this much more serious alleged offence.

---------- Post added at 19:53 ---------- Previous post was at 19:50 ----------

Quote:

Racism is easy to allege, and many people use the race card unfairly and to their own advantage.

However, the allegation has been made and it is being investigated. Again, let’s see the outcome of that investigation before making comments that we may later regret.

daveeb 25-01-2022 19:56

@OB i can't quote you as you're still "composing" but you mention cash for honours, that seems to be an accepted thing now, especially if you have £3 Million spare change.

Hugh 25-01-2022 20:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 36111014)
Those arguing for the police to become involved have shot themselves in the foot. You've got to laugh!

There is no way that Boris will be prosecuted or fined as it is pretty clear from what we know that there is insufficient evidence to do so, and so this is even better than the Gray report.

:D:D:D

Weren’t you the one who kept saying "don’t pre-judge, wait until all the facts are known"?

In fact, two posts above this one, you state
Quote:

let’s see the outcome of that investigation before making comments that we may later regret.
Or are you saying you know already what evidence the Met have/are going to gather?

---------- Post added at 20:22 ---------- Previous post was at 20:17 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 36111104)
Did Tony Blair resign over the cash for honours police investigation? No! And he was interviewed three times over this much more serious alleged offence.

---------- Post added at 19:53 ---------- Previous post was at 19:50 ----------

Racism is easy to allege, and many people use the race card unfairly and to their own advantage.

However, the allegation has been made and it is being investigated. Again, let’s see the outcome of that investigation before making comments that we may later regret.

Bit of a difference

https://www.politics.co.uk/news/2006...honours-probe/
Quote:

The prime minister was not interviewed under caution, and no lawyer was present, which means it is unlikely he will be a suspect if any charges are eventually brought

Mick 25-01-2022 20:43

Quote:

Doesn’t prove shit.

1andrew1 25-01-2022 21:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 36111093)
Deny it as much as you like, but I can assure you there is a rejoin movement. No political party has embraced it....yet.

The only one denying anything is you and Johnson's guilt.

---------- Post added at 21:33 ---------- Previous post was at 21:27 ----------

Quote:

I think he might choose to step down. The real money is on the lecture circuit. Whatever you might think about his honesty and managerial skills, he's one of the UK's finest orators. And he's got a young family, a book to write on Shakespeare and doubtless a few other side hustles. Why bother with being an MP, with what to him is a poor-paying job?

---------- Post added at 21:37 ---------- Previous post was at 21:33 ----------

Quote:

Islamophobia was to the Tories was what anti-Semitism was to Labour. I really had hoped both parties had finally cleaned up their acts but the latest allegations by Nusrat Ghani make uncomfortable reading.

---------- Post added at 21:39 ---------- Previous post was at 21:37 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hugh (Post 36111107)
Weren’t you the one who kept saying "don’t pre-judge, wait until all the facts are known"?

In fact, two posts above this one, you state

Or are you saying you know already what evidence the Met have/are going to gather?

It's hard not to disagree with Old Boy as he holds bewilderingly contradictory positions and you can't agree with all of them at the same time!

papa smurf 25-01-2022 21:43

Rishi Sunak dragged into party row saying he 'accidentally' attended

https://www.express.co.uk/news/polit...downing-street

Mr K 25-01-2022 21:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by papa smurf (Post 36111117)

Two of them accidentally went to a party, how unlucky is that ? :D

What is unfair is that Boris has had more parties in lockdown than I've had in my lifetime !

GrimUpNorth 25-01-2022 21:54

Quote:

Doubt he'll resign as an MP because I believe that'll impact his pension so think he'll step down at the next election unless he's recalled by his constituents.

And for balance you could have mentioned the ex Conservative MP for Wakefield now sitting as an independent while waiting to go on trial accused of sexually assaulting a 15-year-old boy in 2008.

Carth 25-01-2022 21:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr K (Post 36111118)

Used to call it gatecrashing when I was a lad :D

Mick 25-01-2022 22:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by GrimUpNorth (Post 36111119)
Doubt he'll resign as an MP because I believe that'll impact his pension so think he'll step down at the next election unless he's recalled by his constituents.

And for balance you could have mentioned the ex Conservative MP for Wakefield now sitting as an independent while waiting to go on trial accused of sexually assaulting a 15-year-old boy in 2008.

And this is why I didn’t, he’s not been convicted, innocent until proven guilty, the other two have had investigations in some form and are guilty of the findings they’re accused of.

Damien 25-01-2022 22:06

Quote:

Tbf you need more than that to implicate him.

Mr K 25-01-2022 22:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by Damien (Post 36111123)

A party bag with some cake and a toy in it maybe?

Damien 25-01-2022 22:09

As I said earlier a room with a cake whatever for 10 mins is a different thing to literally sending out invites. Both against the rules but few people think that people who are already at work doing something like that is as bad as the other parties. I maintain Johnson likely would have been fine if the cake was the only story.

1andrew1 25-01-2022 22:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by Damien (Post 36111123)

Agreed. Sunak's story is far more convincing than that of Johnson's decorator moving seamlessly around probably the most secure building in the country. Given the frequency of parties at No. 10, it would seem hard for Sunak to avoid at least one of them!

pip08456 25-01-2022 22:22

Quote:

He went for a reason, possibly not the party.

Quote:

Mr Sunak was unintentionally present when a birthday cake was served, after heading to the cabinet room for a COVID strategy committee meeting. Political correspondent Nadine Batchelor-Hunt said: "Rishi Sunak accidentally went to Boris Johnson's No 10 birthday event. I'm told he was present when the birthday cake was served but was unaware it was going to happen as he'd gone to the room specifically for COVID strategy committee meeting."
Source the Express article you linked to.

OLD BOY 25-01-2022 23:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by pip08456 (Post 36111127)
He went for a reason, possibly not the party.

Quote:
Mr Sunak was unintentionally present when a birthday cake was served, after heading to the cabinet room for a COVID strategy committee meeting. Political correspondent Nadine Batchelor-Hunt said: "Rishi Sunak accidentally went to Boris Johnson's No 10 birthday event. I'm told he was present when the birthday cake was served but was unaware it was going to happen as he'd gone to the room specifically for COVID strategy committee meeting."

Source the Express article you linked to.

Exactly. A business meeting, not a party.

---------- Post added at 23:00 ---------- Previous post was at 22:53 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1andrew1 (Post 36111112)
It's hard not to disagree with Old Boy as he holds bewilderingly contradictory positions and you can't agree with all of them at the same time!

I prefaced my comment about there being no case by the words ‘from what we know’. There is nothing contradictory about my position on this.

I suspect very much there is nothing that will prove BJ’s complicity with breaking of Covid rules, but I will not be absolutely sure until we know the police verdict and we see Sue Gray’s report. I’ve not said anything other than that we should reserve judgement.

Chris 25-01-2022 23:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 36111131)

It’s curious how this thread has basically gone exactly the same way as the future of tv thread.

Damien 25-01-2022 23:05

Johnson's defenders, including Rees-Mogg on Newsnight, are saying a new leader requires a General Election. I can't believe any Tory MPs are buying that.

Julian 25-01-2022 23:11

https://www.cableforum.uk/images/local/2022/01/7.jpg

TheDaddy 25-01-2022 23:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr K (Post 36111118)

What is unfair is that Boris has had more parties in lockdown than I've had in my lifetime !

When you're a clown almost everytime you show up it's a party, perhaps he should use that as his defence, it's better than he didn't realise

---------- Post added at 23:20 ---------- Previous post was at 23:18 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris (Post 36111134)
It’s curious how this thread has basically gone exactly the same way as the future of tv thread.

Curious or inevitable

Hugh 26-01-2022 00:11

At this "surprise" work meeting/party/birthday party/get-together with cake and M&S snacks, you would have thought the person in charge of the country (and his Chancellor of the Exchequer) who was telling everyone else not to get together for work meetings/parties/birthday parties/get-togethers that weren’t necessary, might have had the sense to say "sorry, guys & gals, it’s a lovely thought, but this is actually against the rules we told everyone else to follow, so let’s just stop what’s happening, OK?".

The cake, the surprise, the 10 minutes, the Interior Decorator in the Cabinet Room are all just gaslighting and distractions - they set the rules, they reminded us nearly every day of what the rules were, they had people fined throughout this period for breaking the rules.

There are no excuses.

---------- Post added at 00:11 ---------- Previous post was at 00:02 ----------

Quote:

---------- Post added at 23:00 ---------- Previous post was at 22:53 ----------

I prefaced my comment about there being no case by the words ‘from what we know’. There is nothing contradictory about my position on this.

I suspect very much there is nothing that will prove BJ’s complicity with breaking of Covid rules, but I will not be absolutely sure until we know the police verdict and we see Sue Gray’s report. I’ve not said anything other than that we should reserve judgement.

Really?

At their own admission, Carrie gathered staff (and Lulu Lytle) to the Cabinet Room for a surprise before the meeting that Sunak was attending - there was no purpose for this pre-meeting except to surprise Johnson with a cake and to sing "Happy Birthday"…

What are you going to say next - he was ambushed by a cake?

1andrew1 26-01-2022 00:28

Keeping everyone on their toes!
Quote:

Robert Preston Sue Gray’s report has not been delivered to the PM tonight and won’t be now. It is expected to go to him tomorrow. But that timetable is not set in stone and there is a risk it could slip to Thursday.
https://twitter.com/Peston/status/1486085432953737222

---------- Post added at 00:28 ---------- Previous post was at 00:24 ----------

Quote:

The two phrases in bold contradict each other, Old Boy.

You can't simultaneously say there's no case whilst at the same time reserving judgment. :erm:

Mick 26-01-2022 00:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hugh (Post 36111144)

There are no excuses

Yeah, no more excuses to have further lockdown for essentially what was a bad form of Pneumonia.

OLD BOY 26-01-2022 07:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1andrew1 (Post 36111146)
Keeping everyone on their toes!

https://twitter.com/Peston/status/1486085432953737222

---------- Post added at 00:28 ---------- Previous post was at 00:24 ----------

The two phrases in bold contradict each other, Old Boy.

You can't simultaneously say there's no case whilst at the same time reserving judgment. :erm:

As I said 'from what we know', which basically accepts that more information may be forthcoming that changes things, there is no contradiction.

1andrew1 26-01-2022 09:02

Looks like No. 10 doesn't have the report yet. Truss mentioned national security may mean some parts are redacted.
https://news.sky.com/story/politics-...ghani-12514080

Hugh 26-01-2022 09:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1andrew1 (Post 36111156)
Looks like No. 10 doesn't have the report yet. Truss mentioned national security may mean some parts are redacted.
https://news.sky.com/story/politics-...ghani-12514080

Were there Russians ambushing him with cakes?

---------- Post added at 09:08 ---------- Previous post was at 09:05 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 36111154)
As I said 'from what we know', which basically accepts that more information may be forthcoming that changes things, there is no contradiction.

Except when you posted this yesterday evening..

Quote:

There is no way that Boris will be prosecuted or fined as it is pretty clear from what we know that there is insufficient evidence to do so
Even includes "from what we know" ;)

Damien 26-01-2022 10:03

The Tories defence of Johnson is getting a bit tired: https://twitter.com/MrMKimber/status...76097738256387

Quote:

Tory MP, Andrew Rosindell defends Boris Johnson to @KayBurley with: “well he didn’t rob a bank”

Hugh 26-01-2022 10:27

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ervatives.html

Quote:

Leader of the House of Commons and Conservative party MP Jacob Rees Mogg has claimed that there would need to be a general election if Boris Johnson were to be ousted as Prime Minister.

Rees Mogg yesterday argued on BBC Two's Newsnight that any would-be successor to the Prime Minister should call an election to receive the public's backing.

There is no rule in British law stipulating that a new Tory leader would be required to call a general election after winning a party leadership race.

But Rees Mogg told Newsnight's Kirsty Wark that Britain's parliament has moved to 'an essentially Presidential system' and declared that any new PM would be 'well-advised' to seek a fresh mandate.

1andrew1 26-01-2022 10:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hugh (Post 36111158)
Except when you posted this yesterday evening..

Even includes "from what we know" ;)

Exactly. Whilst Old Boy is telling everyone to wait until the report is published, he's also telling them that there is insufficient evidence for a prosecution. :confused:

papa smurf 26-01-2022 10:35

Jeebers this is all getting like a playground argument...

OLD BOY 26-01-2022 11:09

I cannot believe how people are so quick to form a firm judgement before they get the full facts! Can people really not wait a few days?

---------- Post added at 11:08 ---------- Previous post was at 11:05 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by Damien (Post 36111165)
The Tories defence of Johnson is getting a bit tired: https://twitter.com/MrMKimber/status...76097738256387

Well, obviously, he is alluding to the tiresome trivia of the whole thing when there are far more important things to worry about.

---------- Post added at 11:09 ---------- Previous post was at 11:08 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1andrew1 (Post 36111169)
Exactly. Whilst Old Boy is telling everyone to wait until the report is published, he's also telling them that there is insufficient evidence for a prosecution. :confused:

This is getting childish now.

Mr K 26-01-2022 11:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 36111178)
I cannot believe how people are so quick to form a firm judgement before they get the full facts! Can people really not wait a few days?

But you declared him innocent of criminal charges before knowing the facts ! :erm:

OLD BOY 26-01-2022 11:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr K (Post 36111183)
But you declared him innocent of criminal charges before knowing the facts ! :erm:

From what we know. I have said pretty consistently that we should wait for the Gray report.

ianch99 26-01-2022 11:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hugh (Post 36111158)
Were there Russians ambushing him with cakes?

"Sponge cakes Sir - thousands of em"

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FJ-njmrW...jpg&name=small

papa smurf 26-01-2022 12:17

Sir limp biscuit fails again, what a pathetic waste of space this man is.

And the humble crofter still playing the same broken record.

1andrew1 26-01-2022 13:00

Another day, another problem. This time Johnson's denials on the Afghan evacuations are contradicted by an email!
Quote:

Harry York, Whitehall Editor, The Daily Telegraph

The PM has repeatedly denied intervening to ensure evac of Nowzad and Pen Farthing from Afghanistan.

Ben Wallace too.

How do they square these denials with this evidence just released by committee:
https://committees.parliament.uk/wri...ce/43225/html/
https://twitter.com/HarryYorke1/stat...7Ctwgr%5Etweet

Update. Here's the Sky News report
https://news.sky.com/story/boris-joh...ggest-12525830

Damien 26-01-2022 13:15

He just lies as a matter of instinct. Even when he doesn't need to do so.

1andrew1 26-01-2022 13:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by Damien (Post 36111204)

Does he really not have a moral compass? ie If questioned, is his instinct to tell them what they want to hear as oppose to the truth, on the calculated chance that there is little chance the public will find out the truth?

Hugh 26-01-2022 13:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by Damien (Post 36111204)

He gives the answer that will get him out of today’s problem - he doesn’t think ahead.

---------- Post added at 13:38 ---------- Previous post was at 13:37 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by papa smurf (Post 36111171)
Jeebers this is all getting like a playground argument...

Quote:

Originally Posted by papa smurf (Post 36110236)
Sir wet flannel is making a right Horlicks of PMQ's.

Quote:

Originally Posted by papa smurf (Post 36111035)
I'm sure sir wet flannel pizza party will ask all the wrong questions.

Quote:

Originally Posted by papa smurf (Post 36111193)

1andrew1 26-01-2022 15:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1andrew1 (Post 36111201)
Another day, another problem. This time Johnson's denials on the Afghan evacuations are contradicted by an email!

Here's Johnson denying his involvement.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-60143279

Paul 26-01-2022 17:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by Damien (Post 36111135)
Johnson's defenders, including Rees-Mogg on Newsnight, are saying a new leader requires a General Election. I can't believe any Tory MPs are buying that.

Thats complete nonsense.

John Major took over from Maggie without any new election.
Gordon Brown took over from Tony Blair with no new election.

Major was elected again 2 years later, while still leader of the party, Brown wasnt, as labout lost the election 3 years later.

(if you go even further back, Callaghan took over from Wilson, again, no election for 3 years, until Labout lost in 1979)

Damien 26-01-2022 17:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul (Post 36111232)
Thats complete nonsense.

John Major took over from Maggie without any new election.
Gordon Brown took over from Tony Blair with no new election.

Major was elected again 2 years later, while still leader of the party, Brown wasnt, as labout lost the election 3 years later.

Yeah, he is just trying to scare MPs that if they change leader they might lose their seats but the 2019 intake likely followed politics before 2019 :rolleyes:

1andrew1 26-01-2022 17:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by Damien (Post 36111233)
Yeah, he is just trying to scare MPs that if they change leader they might lose their seats but the 2019 intake likely followed politics before 2019 :rolleyes:

Honestly, does he think they're all thick or something just because they don't have Eton accents? :td:

papa smurf 26-01-2022 17:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1andrew1 (Post 36111240)
Honestly, does he think they're all thick or something just because they don't have Eton accents? :td:

He's saying the public won't accept it.

Damien 26-01-2022 17:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by papa smurf (Post 36111245)

The public have done all the time though, well used to it by now.

Hugh 26-01-2022 18:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by papa smurf (Post 36111245)

How would he know - did he ask his nanny?

papa smurf 26-01-2022 18:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by Damien (Post 36111246)
The public have done all the time though, well used to it by now.

Conservative voters might be ok with it, but others may feel robbed of an election unless they know they can't win.

Paul 26-01-2022 18:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by papa smurf (Post 36111251)
Conservative voters might be ok with it, but others may feel robbed of an election unless they know they can't win.

I dont recall anyone feeling robbed when Major took over from Thatcher, or Brown took over from Blair.

papa smurf 26-01-2022 18:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul (Post 36111254)
I dont recall anyone feeling robbed when Major took over from Thatcher, or Brown took over from Blair.

i did.

Mad Max 26-01-2022 19:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by papa smurf (Post 36111193)

He who ate all the cakes.:D

OLD BOY 26-01-2022 19:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1andrew1 (Post 36111201)

Oh, you clever boy. Just one thing:

Intervene: To take part in something so as to prevent or alter a result or course of events.

Authorise: To give official permission for something to happen, or to give someone official permission to do something.

BJ did not say he hadn’t authorised it, he said he didn’t intervene. Two different things, obviously.

Hugh 26-01-2022 20:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 36111266)
Oh, you clever boy. Just one thing:

Intervene: To take part in something so as to prevent or alter a result or course of events.

Authorise: To give official permission for something to happen, or to give someone official permission to do something.

BJ did not say he hadn’t authorised it, he said he didn’t intervene. Two different things, obviously.

When you have to resort to casuistry, you’re backing the wrong horse - but to be fair, you’re so far up Johnson’s fundament, you can probably see papa smurf’s shoe soles… ;)

If someone authorises something that’s an intervention - they’re altering a course of events by allowing it to happen; before Johnson’s authoritisation, it wasn’t likely to happen, because pets weren’t a priority.

No. 10 are still denying he did anything…

https://www.theguardian.com/politics...espite-denials
Quote:

Yet, despite the fresh disclosures, Downing Street said its position was unchanged. “It remains the case the prime minister did not instruct officials to take any particular course of action,” a spokesperson said.

TheDaddy 26-01-2022 22:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul (Post 36111254)

I remember Major saying he thought they'd stretched the elasticity of democracy as far as it would go but that might have been about sleeze rather than him taking over, seems to be a rather toxic cycle of abuse this party rides with. It's irrelevant anyway as smugg is saying it's because the role is more presidential now than prime ministerial

OLD BOY 26-01-2022 23:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hugh (Post 36111274)
When you have to resort to casuistry, you’re backing the wrong horse - but to be fair, you’re so far up Johnson’s fundament, you can probably see papa smurf’s shoe soles… ;)

If someone authorises something that’s an intervention - they’re altering a course of events by allowing it to happen; before Johnson’s authoritisation, it wasn’t likely to happen, because pets weren’t a priority.

No. 10 are still denying he did anything…

https://www.theguardian.com/politics...espite-denials

You cease to be pedantic over use of words when it doesn’t suit you, Hugh.

Words have meanings, and if BJ says he didn’t intervene, most people know that this means he didn’t step in to bring it about. All he did was sign the proposal off - a proposal put to him to agree.

You don’t want to admit that of course, because like some others on here your judgement is clouded by your obsessional desperation to have BJ taken out.

My position? Just wait for the report and the police investigation. Hardly a revolutionary concept.

1andrew1 26-01-2022 23:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 36111282)

Words have meanings, and if BJ says he didn’t intervene, most people know that this means he didn’t step in to bring it about. All he did was sign the proposal off - a proposal put to him to agree.

You don’t want to admit that of course, because like some others on here your judgement is clouded by your obsessional desperation to have BJ taken out.

My position? Just wait for the report and the police investigation. Hardly a revolutionary concept.

You hold multiple and contradictory positions on this.

Position No. 1
Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 36111014)
There is no way that Boris will be prosecuted or fined as it is pretty clear from what we know that there is insufficient evidence to do so, and so this is even better than the Gray report. :D:D:D

Position No. 2
Quote:

Hugh 27-01-2022 00:46

Quote:

And if he hadn’t signed off the proposal?

He could have disagreed…

OLD BOY 27-01-2022 07:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hugh (Post 36111286)
And if he hadn’t signed off the proposal?

He could have disagreed…

Then he would have intervened....

---------- Post added at 07:32 ---------- Previous post was at 07:31 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1andrew1 (Post 36111283)
You hold multiple and contradictory positions on this.

Position No. 1

Position No. 2

I repeat. I said from what we know.

1andrew1 27-01-2022 10:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 36111289)

Innocent from what we know is not the same as wait for the report.

And on that point, the fact that Sue Gray had to refer the report to the Metropolitan Police suggests something far removed from your overly optimistic speculation. If she had found nothing untoward, the Metropolitan Police would not be investigating. That's not speculation, that's based upon her terms of reference.

Hugh 27-01-2022 11:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 36111289)
Then he would have intervened....

---------- Post added at 07:32 ---------- Previous post was at 07:31 ----------

Let me try and explain it for the hard of understanding…

If he did nothing, it would have not happened, and nothing would have changed from the original situation.

He did something (authorised it), it happened - intervention.

pip08456 27-01-2022 11:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1andrew1 (Post 36111310)

And on that point, the fact that Sue Gray had to refer the report to the Metropolitan Police suggests something far removed from your overly optimistic speculation. If she had found nothing untoward, the Metropolitan Police would not be investigating. That's not speculation, that's based upon her terms of reference.

How about innocent until proven guilty? A cornerstone of the British judicial system.

Are the Met investigating the parties or Johnson?

1andrew1 27-01-2022 13:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hugh (Post 36111312)
Let me try and explain it for the hard of understanding…

If he did nothing, it would have not happened, and nothing would have changed from the original situation.

He did something (authorised it), it happened - intervention.

:clap::clap::clap:
I think your patience here far exceeds the usual reasonable adjustments required by law.

---------- Post added at 13:02 ---------- Previous post was at 11:24 ----------

Quote:

Breaking News Boris Johnson has dismissed claims he approved the airlift of animals out of Afghanistan, saying they are "total rhubarb".
https://news.sky.com/story/total-rhu...istan-12526582

OLD BOY 27-01-2022 13:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1andrew1 (Post 36111310)

Well, that’s much more ‘enlightened’ than making your mind up that he was guilty on the basis of allegations only. I am prepared to concede that the report and/or the police investigation may confirm the views you have. I am not being dogmatic as some of you guys are.

I don’t accept your conclusion in the last paragraph. Clearly, she found something for the police to take into account or investigate. That on its own doesn’t making him guilty either.

Hugh 27-01-2022 13:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by pip08456 (Post 36111322)
How about innocent until proven guilty? A cornerstone of the British judicial system.

I agree with the "innocent until proven guilty", but we are allowed opinions, and my opinion that Johnson is lying is based on the facts we know - he’s a proven liar (been fired a couple of times for lying), he is consistently dishonest (cheating on his wife multiple times, and on his current wife when they were not yet married), he has repeatedly failed to declare interests in the Members’ Register, there were the pictures of them in the garden eating cheese & wine during the lockdown, his admission that he was in a room with around 30 others who had gathered to sing "happy birthday" and eat cake and M&S snacks at a time when this wasn’t allowed, and many other examples.

When it walks like a lying duck, and sounds like a lying duck, it’s usually a lying duck…

---------- Post added at 13:47 ---------- Previous post was at 13:45 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 36111341)
Well, that’s much more ‘enlightened’ than making your mind up that he was guilty on the basis of allegations only. I am prepared to concede that the report and/or the police investigation may confirm the views you have. I am not being dogmatic as some of you guys are.

I don’t accept your conclusion in the last paragraph. Clearly, she found something for the police to take into account or investigate. That on its own doesn’t making him guilty either.

Quote:

There is no way that Boris will be prosecuted or fined as it is pretty clear from what we know that there is insufficient evidence to do so

OLD BOY 27-01-2022 13:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hugh (Post 36111342)
I agree with the "innocent until proven guilty", but we are allowed opinions, and my opinion that Johnson is lying is based on the facts we know - he’s a proven liar (been fired a couple of times for lying), he is consistently dishonest (cheating on his wife multiple times, and on his current wife when they were not yet married), he has repeatedly failed to declare interests in the Members’ Register, there were the pictures of them in the garden eating cheese & wine during the lockdown, his admission that he was in a room with around 30 others who had gathered to sing "happy birthday" and eat cake and M&S snacks at a time when this wasn’t allowed, and many other examples.

When it walks like a lying duck, and sounds like a lying duck, it’s usually a lying duck…

Unless you’re just holding the picture up the wrong way! :D

Hugh 27-01-2022 13:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 36111345)
Unless you’re just holding the picture up the wrong way! :D

Getting your excuse in early, I see… ;)

OLD BOY 27-01-2022 13:56

Quote:

Quote:

From what we know….

heero_yuy 27-01-2022 13:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 36111348)
From what we know….

Gray ja vu.

Carth 27-01-2022 15:06

Christ, is this farce still ongoing?

papa smurf 27-01-2022 15:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by pip08456 (Post 36111322)

The cake is the priority.

Mr K 27-01-2022 15:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carth (Post 36111355)

Said the last one to leave the party.... :)

1andrew1 27-01-2022 15:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carth (Post 36111355)

Yup, like a bad children's party, the clown's refusing to leave although the jokes have worn thin.

Carth 27-01-2022 17:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1andrew1 (Post 36111362)
Yup, like a bad children's party, the clown's refusing to leave although the jokes have worn thin.

I see no mention of the numerous knife throwing acts?

Mick 27-01-2022 17:17

FAO: Hugh and OLD BOY - I am giving you both an instruction to back off arguing with each other (and in other threads) sick of seeing the bickering between you both.

Paul 27-01-2022 17:28

Quote:

Johnson is a duck ?
Well there goes the reptile theory :erm:

Hugh 27-01-2022 18:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mick (Post 36111378)
FAO: Hugh and OLD BOY - I am giving you both an instruction to back off arguing with each other (and in other threads) sick of seeing the bickering between you both.

:tu:

Mick 27-01-2022 19:45

Posted elsewhere:

Kay Burley on SKYNEWS this morning speaking to a senior retired police officer.
"If the PM is found guilty what happens"
Retired Police Officer " He would get a fixed penalty notice"
Kay Burley: "Is that a criminal record"
Retired Police Officer: "No"
Burley face dropped ......

Hugh 27-01-2022 20:02

However, if it's proven he has lied in Parliament about these things...

Pierre 27-01-2022 20:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hugh (Post 36111400)
However, if it's proven he has lied in Parliament about these things...

………….then what?

It would have to be proven he deliberately lied, and was just not mistaken. If he was mistaken and he corrects himself…job done.

Even if he is found to have lied, the person that decides whether a minister should resign is……….the Prime Minister. So he would have to find himself guilty.

Quote:

It’s easier to get thrown out of the House of Commons for calling someone a liar than for lying itself.

Despite often coming under fire from disgruntled viewers, the Speaker of the House does not have any power to police the truthfulness of debates in the chamber.

And other codes of conduct which mention honesty, like the Nolan Principles and the Ministerial Code, are essentially voluntary.

In fact, much of the British political system rests on the assumption that politicians will choose to behave honourably, and there are few sanctions in place for those who defy the conventions.

Dr Alice Lilley from the Institute of Government told us: “Misleading Parliament is a serious matter.

“The convention has always been that ministers who mislead Parliament are expected to resign, and this is set out in the Ministerial Code. But enforcing this convention is more complicated.

“It is ultimately up to the prime minister to decide what happens to ministers judged to have broken the Code.

“And Parliament has very few powers to punish a minister for misleading it. The Commons Speaker might make some pointed remarks that make their irritation clear, but it isn’t their job to determine whether ministers are telling the truth—or the consequences if they aren’t.”

https://www.channel4.com/news/factch...icians-who-lie

Mr K 28-01-2022 06:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pierre (Post 36111405)
………….then what?

It would have to be proven he deliberately lied, and was just not mistaken. If he was mistaken and he corrects himself…job done.

Even if he is found to have lied, the person that decides whether a minister should resign is……….the Prime Minister. So he would have to find himself guilty.

https://www.channel4.com/news/factch...icians-who-lie

Then what? The Conservatives continue to nosedive in the polls, as the public is sick to death of Boris and his lies.
Even Labour is winning the CF poll, that should give them a wake up call if nothing else! ;)

GrimUpNorth 28-01-2022 07:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr K (Post 36111420)
Then what? The Conservatives continue to nosedive in the polls, as the public is sick to death of Boris and his lies.
Even Labour is winning the CF poll, that should give them a wake up call if nothing else! ;)

Agreed, willing to be proved wrong, but that's something that I don't think normally happens in the polls we have here, at this rate Paul may have to change the blue colour scheme!

Mick 28-01-2022 07:11

Quote:

Oh gee wizz, they’re currently winning by 1 vote. I got to lie down. :rolleyes:

Meanwhile….

BREAKING: Pen Farthing, Founder and owner of Nowzad dogs charity is to seek legal action over what he considers to be lies being told by media and MPs, in that animals were NOT put before human lives, he tweeted this a few hours ago:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pen Farthing via Twitter
Ok @DanJarvisMP I can no longer take this mental anguish that you & other MPs are putting me through No-one was left behind to die because of me No-one. I am going to seek legal representation against you. I cannot take this anymore. It has to bloody stop. @BBCBreaking

@SkyNews @bbc5live @bbclaurak @theJeremyVine @UKLabour This constant onslaught of lies using my name and that our charity is unacceptable. I cannot take this anymore. We SAVED people. Deserving people. What do I have to so you tell the truth?

The level of abuse and hatred I am receiving because of the lies being portrayed from the media and certain MPs is disgusting. You should be ashamed of yourselves. I thought I was mentally strong but now beginning to struggle with this.

Damien 28-01-2022 07:18

Seems a bit odd? From what I understand it's pretty cut and dry that there were limited amounts of flights and one of them was taken up by his plane, and people were left behind.

1andrew1 28-01-2022 09:13

Seemingly, another u-turn from the Met.
Quote:

The Metropolitan Police has asked senior civil servant Sue Gray to make "minimal reference" to events they are investigating in her report.

Ms Gray's inquiry into lockdown parties in Downing Street had been due to be released this week.

But the Met has asked her to leave out details of parties they are investigating for Covid rule-breaking.

In a statement, it said it wanted to "avoid any prejudice to our investigation".

On Tuesday, Met Commissioner Cressida Dick announced the force had launched its own inquiry after being handed information by Sue Gray.

It has since been unclear how much the Gray report would be able to say while a police investigation was under way.

The Met insists it has not asked for Ms Gray's report to be delayed.

In a statement on Friday, the force added it had not asked for "any limitations" on what her report says about gatherings that are not being investigated by its officers.

On Thursday, Boris Johnson insisted Ms Gray's report would be published "in full" - although he did not say when it was expected to be published.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-60166997

---------- Post added at 09:13 ---------- Previous post was at 08:59 ----------

Quote:

Yes, by a staggering 42% v 36%!
[For any Johnson fans out there, don't worry, I don't think the sample size is sufficient nor the audience representative of UK voters, to draw any meaningful conclusions.]

In reality, the court of public opinion, just as they tried Blair and found him guilty, have tried Johnson and found him guilty. In the legal mind, both may well not be criminals but to many in the public mind they will be just that.

Johnson has become in a couple of years what Blair eventually became in a couple of terms- an electoral liability and not an electoral asset. The 20th May party has cut through. No.10 is paralysed and morale is low. The only way out is for Johnson to leave. It is in the national interests for a Prime Minister to focus on Ukraine and energy supplies. Not a Police investigation. The current incumbent is no longer able to do this.

jfman 28-01-2022 09:22

Dame Dick playing a blinder for the Establishment.

Maggy 28-01-2022 09:41

So another set of inquiry's kicked into the long grass. Who would have thought it.So Boris will march on.

Damien 28-01-2022 09:43

Can be seen either way really. Ideally, you want the police to investigate this properly but obviously politically it helps him so can be seen as 'doing him a favour'. Really we shouldn't be in a situation where being investigated by the police is seen as helpful to a Prime Minister but here we are.

Carth 28-01-2022 09:51

Some people are just never happy :rolleyes:

Everyone* cries for a police investigation, and now complain because the police say if a similar investigation releases information that *could* influence or jeopardize the police one it's a 'cover up'

*usual suspects

papa smurf 28-01-2022 09:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carth (Post 36111437)
Some people are just never happy :rolleyes:

Everyone* cries for a police investigation, and now complain because the police say if a similar investigation releases information that *could* influence or jeopardize the police one it's a 'cover up'

*usual suspects

one did point this out

https://www.cableforum.uk/board/show...4#post36111054

Hugh 28-01-2022 10:15

1 Attachment(s)
I had a chat about the latest events with my CPS friend, and they pointed this out to me…

https://www.cableforum.uk/board/atta...2&d=1643364807

https://twitter.com/crimelinelaw/sta...541153792?s=12

However, they did deem it "unusual" that this would happen if it was only about Fixed Penalty Notices - normally, this might occur if it was about a potential interview strategy for something more than a FPN; if someone gave an statement to the Gray Inquiry that was not matched by another’s statement, the police might not want to let the first person know this until after it’s been followed up.

papa smurf 28-01-2022 10:38

Just popping out to see my mate the Queen ttfn

spiderplant 28-01-2022 11:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1andrew1 (Post 36111427)
Yes, by a staggering 42% v 36%!
[For any Johnson fans out there, don't worry, I don't think the sample size is sufficient nor the audience representative of UK voters, to draw any meaningful conclusions.]

Sometimes you don't need a big sample size. Compare with
https://www.cableforum.uk/board/show...php?t=33708500